Plot resolution problem

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
daniel.bd.balogh
1751 Views, 12 Replies

Plot resolution problem

Hello everyone!

I am trying to plot my drawing in Autocad 2020 and I am having problems with the resolution. After exporting a PDF and zooming in on that, it is just not detailed enough (as shown on attached pictures). I maxed out the resolution to 4800 dpi in the options but it doesn't seem to solve this.

Is it possible that it only occurs on the PDF and will be fine when printed? If not, any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Daniel

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Without some more info, or better yet, the actual pdf and dwg, it's hard to be certain, but it looks to me like the fat lines/no detail you are seeing/showing in your images is a pdf display issue (Adobe Reader or Acrobat?) Just screen shots don't really provide enough info.

Is AutoCAD fully updated? "about" command should show 2020.1.2

What pdf driver (plotter) are you using?

Have you tried printing the pdf to a physical printer and comparing results to a physical plot directly from AutoCAD?

I typically use AutoCAD pdf (high quality print) at 300dpi, and the resulting pdf's look fine when printed out on paper-to my eyes, nearly indistinguishable from a direct plot to paper from AutoCAD. The 4800dpi in my opinion is way overkill, increasing pdf file size for no real purpose.....

Message 3 of 13

Hi,

>> After exporting a PDF 

Export or Plot?

>> After exporting a PDF and zooming in on that, it

>> is just not detailed enough

Looks more like the paper format does not fit with the lineweight.

If you upload your dwg-file (with a layout setup to reproduce this issue using _PLOT) we can look into it.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 13

Hi!

I attached the pdf and the dwg. I havent tried to print it yet. It is my first project so I am sorry for any "rookie" mistakes. I will definitely print it and see if it is only a problem with Adobe Reader.

Message 5 of 13

Try a different PDF reader... still the same?  What virtual printer are you using to create PDF? Post .dwg and PDF so we can have a look. 

Message 6 of 13

Hi,

print your file to paper (A4 format) ... what is wrong with this?

I can't see issues in your PDF.

Please use command _PLOT and do not use Microsoft Print to PDF, use device "AutoCAD PDF (High Quality Print).pc3" to create a PDF from your drawing.

Please do not think that PDF is a format you can use like CAD, zoom in into a PDF means it's like taking a magnifier, all get's bigger, also the lineweights.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 13
pendean
in reply to: daniel.bd.balogh

You selected lineweights that are too think for the small letter size PDF you created that is not to scale:

Capture.PNG

You either need to PLOT (not export) to a larger sheet and to a plot scale, or you need to reduce your lineweight thicknesses in LAYER command as shown above.

What you see is what you asked AutoCAD to create for you: so what is your intent? Are you trying to create a PDF for someone to use or see your work?

Message 8 of 13

I attached them in a previous answer. I used DWGtoPDF.pc3.

Message 9 of 13

Don't apologize for "rookie mistakes"- that's how we learn.-I don't see any that jump out, by the way.

Linework on your pdf looks fine on my screen (as well as pdf's ever do...) and linework looks fine on paper.

I plotted your dwg to pdf (attached) using the settings in the attached screen shot, then printed that to paper, then plotted directly to paper from AutoCAD, and except for a slight difference in color (that's why I used ACAD.ctb instead of monochrome, to compare color) linework resolution/crispness on both are fine.

Message 10 of 13

Screen shot didn't attach the 1st time- here it is...

Message 11 of 13

Thank you for checking. I printed it too now and got fine results. My last question is that if I print it in A0, will those things look clearer that now looksstuffed like on the picture I first attached (2.PNG)? If yes, then it's done.

Message 12 of 13

Hi,

>> My last question is that if I print it in A0

Then please create a layout for A0. The PDF will then print well on A0 paper.

You can then zoom deeper in the PDF viewer, but keep in mind, a PDF viewer zooms like a magnifier, not like a CAD system, which handles lineweights relative to screen (and not relative to a paper format).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 13 of 13

Okay, thank you for all your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost