Did you mean: 

Moving software from :C to :D Drive

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
CJGBR
5007 Views, 6 Replies

Moving software from :C to :D Drive

:C drive on Laptop is limited SSD drive.

I have moved all files to 😄 and now Autocad doesn't open.

I have downloaded the install file to install again but will not work.

Popup message:

"AutoCAD 2018 is not found on this computer. You will need to install AutoCAD 2018 to install this product specific pack".

Installation log file attached.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Erense
in reply to: CJGBR

Just don't simply move software to another drive.

Always uninstall and re-install.

With the new install provide the new intended location for the software. (D:\)

Be aware: a part will always be installed under C:\

An uninstall will most probably fail now too.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Kind regards,

Edwin Rense
Cadac Group AEC BV
Supporting Consultant AEC
Cadac Group .
Message 3 of 7
CJGBR
in reply to: Erense

I have already uninstalled the software.

Message 4 of 7
dgorsman

There's a lot more to installing programs than where the files are located.  For what it's worth I'd recommend switching up your thinking.   Clean up the high performance SSD so there's enough room for the important programs like AutoCAD; you want them on the best performing drive.  Move everything else, including temp/junk/etc. to the other drive.

It also sounds like you're trying to install an update/SP rather than the actual program.  Go to your Autodesk account and ensure you're downloading the correct item, which should be in two parts.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

I use Autodesk inventor (sorry if this is unrelated to the topic), and realized the hard way that Autodesk softwares will attempt to install majority of its files on the C drive no matter which path you choose during installation. Inventor users apparently face this problem more frequently because it takes up more than 3x times more space as Autocad. I was told, much like everyone else here that the only way around it is to make space on C drive. What turned out to be a real bummer was when I had to install Autocad on my PC for work purposes too. Having both Autocad and Inventor on the C drive is practically hogging up the whole drive.

Message 6 of 7
dgorsman
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous - even with a microscopically sized SSD, AutoCAD is only a couple of GB in size once installed.  In the past I've had multiple versions of AutoCAD, and Navisworks Simulate, Manage, *and* Freedom, along with DWG TrueView, and a number of other programs on a 250 GB SSD and still had 50+ GB of working space.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 7
Erense
in reply to: dgorsman

@dgorsman: True, on a 250GB SDD or HDD you should be able to run/install several versions of the software.

@CJGBR 

The thing is when you download the sfx.exe (your default download folder is on your C:\) it will extract (by default) in the C:\Autodesk folder and by default install on the C:\ 

To save space download the sfx.exe to a data source disk (D:\) and extract to this same drive (D:\)

When installed use the C:\ (or even the same D:\)

This might help a lot with saving room on your SDD drive.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Kind regards,

Edwin Rense
Cadac Group AEC BV
Supporting Consultant AEC
Cadac Group .

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost