Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

-DWGUNITS Command Prompts

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
vikas_kumar_subscriptions
242 Views, 5 Replies

-DWGUNITS Command Prompts

While using the -DWGUNITS command, it asks so many questions. In 4th prompt, it asks "Scale entities from other drawing upon insert". However, I understand that it is same as asked in 5th prompt "Match INSUNITS do drawing units".

So, I tried to set 'Yes' and 'No' for the 4th prompt, but I did not notice any effect of this prompt in output.
Could someone, please explain the use of this 4th prompt?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

From what I've read, Prompt 4: "Scale objects from other drawings upon insert" means that anything from another drawing that is in different units (metric or imperial), if clicked "yes",  it will auto-scale to match whatever units are in the current drawing.

"Files that are created with different units will be converted according to the insertion scale. For example, a file drawn in millimeters will be automatically scaled to meters when inserted into a drawing that is set up for meters."

The "Match INSUNITS to drawing units?" prompt specifies drawing-units value to automatically correct the scale of blocks, images, xrefs, etc. when inserted/attached to your current drawing.

I have both of mine switched to "Yes".

Hope this helps 🙂

Message 3 of 6

@bkelsey2696 Thank you for your reply. 🙂 

I have already tried this, but it did not work. I opted "Yes" in Prompt 4: "Scale objects from other drawings upon insert" and opted "No" in next prompt "Match INSUNITS to drawing units?"
When I inserted a block from another drawing with different drawing unit, the block did not scaled as per the current drawing unit.

However, if opt "Yes" for "Match INSUNITS to drawing units?" prompt, it scales the block in above case.

So, INSUNITS setting is responsible to scale or not the block after insertion.

Now, I do not understand what is the purpose of Prompt 4: "Scale objects from other drawings upon insert"?

Message 4 of 6

I assume that prompt 4 accounts for the scaling of objects that are not a block, xref, image, etc. when inserted from a different drawing; like drawing a box at one scale, and copying and pasting it into the new drawing, having "yes" on prompt 4 it would change the scale of the box in the new drawing.

Nevertheless, like anything else AutoCAD, it's just experimenting with the program and doing individual research on whatever it is.
Message 5 of 6

You can tell your dwg to scale upon insert while still having different dwgunits from insunits - I would definitely not recommend anything like that, but those two options are not the same.

learn more about the difference between units insunits and dwgunits here:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-forum/what-is-the-difference-between-units-dwgunits-insunits/...

Message 6 of 6

I appreciate your efforts to resolve my query.

I have tried this as you are suggesting: copying an entity from a drawing (Dwg Unit = 1) to another drawing (Dwg Unit = 3). Whether, I opt 'Yes' or 'No' in prompt #4, the result is same. Means, the copied entity is never scaled with any options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost