Did you mean: 

custom blocks on tool pallets

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
1356 Views, 11 Replies

custom blocks on tool pallets

I have created blocks on my tool pallets.all created on my main template.   Quite frequently when trying to insert a block they can't be found.  where do I find those blocks to manually insert them so that I can try to recreate them on the tool pallet.  Using autoarchitecture 2014.  Used r-14 for many years and was always able to find the files but newer autocad programs bury files so deep and obscure it is very frustrating.

thx in advance     Planman1 

Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
chriscowgill7373
in reply to: Anonymous

The blocks that are placed on a tool palette store their location with the drawing from which the tool was created.  so if you create a block in a drawing and save it, then put the tool on the tool palette, but then go back and move or delete the original drawing, the tool palette no longer has the drawing to reference to pull the block definition from.  So if you are going to put custom blocks on a tool palette, you need to make sure you save the drawing containing those blocks in a location that it will not need to be moved or wont accidently get deleted

Christopher T. Cowgill, P.E.

AutoCAD Certified Professional
Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2022 on Windows 10

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 3 of 12
mallika.s

If you right click on the block in the tool palette, and select Properties, the Source file field should tell you the location of the file. If that doesn't work, you may want to post in the ACA forum.

Mallika Shanbhag

Experience Design Manager

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: chriscowgill7373

Thx for your reply That is the way I have done all blocks and after
creation I check them out in other drawings and they work just fine and
then a couple of days they are now longer available. I have about 300
blocks on pallets and most work fine but some have issues. A couple of the
simplier blocks have been redone several times and it doesn't seem to stick
past a few days. I follow the file tree down from c:to get to where the
blocks are located but clicking on the dwt opens the template drawing.
Some of the recent blocks are a bit more involved and redrawing is a pain.
If I could find the physical location of the block and insert it by
browsing thru the insert command then I could try to redo them on the pallet
Message 5 of 12
rculp

The blocks you place on a tool palette are being defined in their source drawings. The definition are not held in the palette.   If the drawings you used to build the palette move or change names, the palette can fond the file for the block definition.

Drawing used to drive tool palettes should be held different from project files.  If I have a block in a project file I wish to add to the palette, I open a file I use specifically to house blocks for the palette and use DESIGN CENTER to drag the block from the project file to my "blocks" file.  I use several "blocks" files and organize blocks into categories by file.  Those files are kept in read-only directories as a "standard for all users.

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
Civil-Structural Design Technician
(aka CADaver)
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: rculp

Thank you for your input. All blocks were created and saved on my master
template that has been in the same place from the beginning. Most work
perfectly but a few seem to have problems. Usually I can pull the block
off a previous drawing, copy it to my mst. and go thru the create block
screen. But I created a new block last week that was several dormer
windows (I do architectural drawings in AA2014). tested it out and all was
good but this week it can't be found in "
c:\programdata\autodesk\ACA\enu\template\1.dwt" where all other blocks are
and where all were saved.. I have worked with AutoCad for 25 years but
this stumps me.
Message 7 of 12
schurthing

It sounds like something in the path to the source file is changing. But since the dwt is on drive c:, it doesn't sound like a networking issue. With that said, can I suggest a couple of different ways to organize your source blocks?

1/  If all the source blocks are defined in one source dwg, save it as a dws (drawing standards file) in a location that makes sense to you (rather than the obscure "c:\programdata\autodesk\ACA\enu\template\". I like to use "\DesignCenter\Blocks\" and then have subfolders like "Windows" or "Doors" or "Trees", etc. Then create your tool palette from that. That way you will always know where the source file is.

2/  Mostly same as above, but instead of creating a single dws file with multiple blocks in it, create separate dwg files for each block in the folder by using WBLOCK from your dwt file that currently has all the blocks in it. Then create the palette from the folder where all the block files are located. This way you can always see the exact dwg file as the source of the block.

Stefanie
crazy autocad witch since release 8 😄
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: schurthing

Thank you, shurthing,
I will see if I can implement your suggestions. The only thing is I have
over 300 blocks and recreating them in another source file will be a
monumental task. Is there an easy way?
Message 9 of 12
schurthing

To create a dws (or dwg if you prefer--it doesn't really matter) just open the dwt file you created (that has all the blocks in it) and Save As to a dwg (or dws) into the folder you want it to be in.

For the other option, I found a very old post in here that has a lisp routine to batch WBLOCK all the blocks in a dwg. I haven't tried it, but here's a link to the post:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/visual-lisp-autolisp-and-general/batch-wblock-of-blocks-in-drawing/m-...

If you read through the other posts below that one, you get some instruction on how to use it. Everyone in there seemed to think it worked great.

I don't know of a better way.

Stefanie
crazy autocad witch since release 8 😄
Message 10 of 12
chriscowgill7373

please post your template and your tool palette ATC file, that would be the quickest way to find your problem. 

Christopher T. Cowgill, P.E.

AutoCAD Certified Professional
Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2022 on Windows 10

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 11 of 12
pendean

ADCENTER command can be used to go back to your blocks folder(s) locations to create new TPs to replace those now damaged TPs.
Message 12 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Thank you Pendean

I found the blocks via your suggestion of using adcenter.  For some reason a couple of the trouble block were not there and I'm not sure why, they were created the same way as all the others.  I would like some suggestions as to how to copy those blocks to a file for easy retrieval if necessary.

Thx again, Lon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost