AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plot, export to TIF (TIFF) file (transparent background)

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
7561 Views, 10 Replies

Plot, export to TIF (TIFF) file (transparent background)

Is it possible to print/export a layout in AutoCAD for MAC 2013 into a TIFF file with (or without) transparent background?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
maxim_k
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

It seems - no way to do this directly from AutoCAD.

But:

1. You can only manually convert white areas to transparent, even in Preview.app:

http://www.cultofmac.com/216093/create-your-own-transparent-image-files-with-preview-os-x-tips/

2. Or you can use Inkscape application - open PDF file created in AutoCAD (export, save as PDF from Print dialog) in Inkscape and then Export to PNG - this will create PNG file without background (only rasterized AutoCAD geometry).

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: maxim_k

Thanks for your quick answer!

Transparency is not that important to me (it's one little step in Photoshop for me). Plotting/Exporting to TIFF is really hanging me up. At the time I'm using Win 7 and Universal Document Converter. It's working, but it would be nice to shorten the workflow.

Message 4 of 11
maxim_k

Yes, without PDF to raster conversion application you can not create raster image from DWG directly on Mac.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

It's possible without transparent background. Just make your own print-plugin with Automator:

Open Automator.
Choose the Print Plugin template.
Click on "PDFs" in the left-most pane.
Drag the "Render PDF Pages as Images" from the middle pane to the right pane.
Set the color model, resolution, and compression values to something nice, and choose "TIFF image" as the format.
Click on "Files and Folders" on the left, then drag "Rename Finder Items" to the right under "Render PDF Pages as Images".
Answer "No" to the question about adding a copy step.
Change the settings to "Make Sequential" and specify a new name.
Click on "Files and Folders" on the left, then drag "Copy Finder Items" to the right under "Render PDF Pages as Images", and designate where the files go

Save the workflow as "Print to TIFF"

Now, when you print, go to the PDF menu in the corner of the print dialog, and you will find a new item in the drop-down list: "Print to TIFF". If you select that, it will create TIFF images in the designated folder.... If you want, you can fiddle around with the basic workflow and do other things too (add dates to the filenames, apply image filters, etc.)

The workflow is stored in ~/Library/PDF Services
Message 6 of 11
maxim_k

Hi,

Interesting solution, but I would replace "Rename Finder Items" and "Copy Finder Items" to "Save File As" Automator action from here:

http://automatorworld.com/archives/save-file-as/

This will give more flexibility when assigning output file name and output file location:

Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 19.30.16.png

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

I would wish I had a cleaner solution. Unfortunatly your solution isn't working with Mavericks. 

The german error prompt looks like this: Bildschirmfoto 2013-12-30 um 23.48.47.png

Power PC apps aren't working since Mountain Lion...

Message 8 of 11
wei503

Hi,

Does the command "tifout" work for you? It is not exposed in the UI, but the command should work to export the viewport to tif file.

Some other similar commands like "pngout", "jpgout", etc.

Thanks,
Wei

Wei Ma
AutoCAD for Mac QA Manager

Message 9 of 11
maxim_k

Hi,

you are not completely correct.

Yes, the installation of this Automator action itself doesnt work on Mountain Lion and on Mavericks, but the action itself works just fine.
In my post #6 I attached ZIP archive with action extracted from installation - you need to put "Save As File.action" from the archive to ~/Library/Automator (double-lick on this file and choose "Install" from alert message) -  now you can use it in Automator even on Mavericks.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 10 of 11
maxim_k
in reply to: wei503

Hi Wei,

all these raster output commands (TIFOUT, PNGUOT...) will create image files with current screen resolution and I can not control Page Setup using them, but when I use PDF output and then converting it to a bitmap (TIFF, PNG ...) I get full control over output including resolution and Page Setup settings, just like I can do this by using Raster Output printer driver in Windows version of AutoCAD.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 11 of 11
wei503
in reply to: maxim_k

I see this limitation, Thanks Maxim for pointing it out.

Thanks,
Wei

Wei Ma
AutoCAD for Mac QA Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report