AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Reference in Wire Number Format

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
2373 Views, 12 Replies

Line Reference in Wire Number Format

New to AutoCAD Electrical 2016, I am used to EPLAN.

I am trying to setup a wire numbering scheme similar to what we are currently using; Sheet Number, Line Number, Wire Number Suffix. I am tring to use the "Assign Wire Numbering Formats by Wire Layer" but I can find an option for Line Number or Ladder Reference. How do I generate a wire number with the format I am looking for?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
jseefdrumr
in reply to: Anonymous

You'll need to change the formating in the Project Properties. See attached image. You'll need to edit component tag format, wire numbering format, and cross referencing format. Essentially, you will need to make them all say %S%N. Component tags should at the minimum have %F%S%N (Family, Sheet#, Line#). In addition, you will have to use the PLC editor every time you insert a PLC so that it reflects the %S portion of its tagging. You'll only have to do it once per PLC though.

As for the suffixing, that is handled via the dialog you've already seen.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: jseefdrumr

I really need to be able to have things in a Layer Setup. In somecases i would like to have an L1 or L2 for a Suffix and other times I may want to have a U, V, or W. Your suggested scheme works great for standard wire number, but will I have to go back and manipulate every wire that I need to have a different suffix on?

Thank You

Message 4 of 13
jseefdrumr

When you said suffix, I thought you meant things like 1011A, 1011B, etc. These simple suffixes are done automatically.

I'm not sure how you might achieve this via some sort of "layer setup".

When dealing with three-phase wires, I believe the best option for you is to manually edit their line numbers using AE3PHASEWIRENO. This can also be found at Schematic>Insert Wires/Wire Numbers>Wire Number flyout/pulldown>3 Phase. This command allows you to control three levels, named Prefix, Base, and Suffix. In truth, however, they can be whatever you need them to be: number-suffix-suffix, prefix-prefix-number, prefix-number-suffix, whatever you need. You can also control which segments increment and which ones hold. In this manner you can get three-phase wire numbering that says "1001L1A" "1001L1B" 1001L1C". The attached image shows examples of a couple of different ways I have used this command.

AFAIK this is really the only way to get wire numbers the way you describe.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Jim Seefeldt

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

That is much better, thank you for the help!
Message 6 of 13
jseefdrumr

Glad I could help.

Jim Seefeldt

Message 7 of 13
Icemanau

I have Layer Format Overrides for all of my wire layers.

The easy way to do it all automatically, is to have each phase/function on a different layer with their own override.

For example, I have 5 layers for Protection CT's

Red Phase

White Phase

Blue Phase

Neutral/Star Point

Earth

Each layer has it's own override to number them according to the current standards.

This includes the Prefix (C), Number (specific numbers for each phase/neutral/earth) and if needed I can add a suffix for each layer as well.

The only problems I have found with doing it this way is that you end up with a lot of wire layers to sort through and have to swap layers more than usual. Currently, I have appriximately 100 layers dedicated to wires alone, with 40 of those dedicated to the 3 phases and neutral. The other 60 are the various control functions, power supplies and their negative/neutrals, bus bars, external wiring and so on.

It does make numbering the wires easy and you can colour code the layers so you know which layer is which on screen which makes it easier to see if you are on the right layer or not.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Icemanau

This scheme works great. If you spend the time to setup the layers by color and size, how do you display that color and size?

Message 9 of 13
Icemanau

The colours are only for reference on the screen. When printed, they are all black.

Lineweight is set in the Layers and I have selected the tick box to plot the object's lineweight.

This is in the advanced print options that you get when you click on the right facing circled arrow at the bottom right of the plot dialog.

However, I do turn the lineweight display of on the screen as I find it easier to read.

When it plots out, all the wires and symbols come out at the correct lineweight and black on white is the easiest for the guys on the floor to read.

Regards Brad

>

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

Brad,

I was refering to the Layer Table (Create/Edit Wire Type) where you input the size and color. So if I create a Layer for Black 10AWG (BLK_10) how can I display that information? I have to refer to my EPLAN experience again; they use an object just like a Cable Maker that allows you to display color, size, etc. 

If I spend the time to create a lot of layers, I would like to be able to use that information. 

Message 11 of 13
Icemanau

Ahhh....

In the Layer Table, you can name the layer anything you want...

For example 'Black 10AWG (BLK_10) - Neutral Protection CT' or whatever you like.

My layers are named like this 'BLK METERING CT'.

This works for us as normally we only use 1.5mm2, 2.5mm2 and 4mm2 for our wiring.

Everything else is via preformed copper bus bars running at 11kV.

The 1.5mm2 is for normal control wiring.

2.5mm2 for all CT circuits and VT circuits until they reach a fuse.

Finally the 4mm2 is for the CB actuators to open and close the the HV breaker.

Everyone on the floor knows this and uses the appropriate wire size as required.

If we have to use a wire size for something not listed, I place an inline wire label showing the wire size.

As for the actual colour of the wire sheath, the standards for Australia in regards to control wiring allows us to use black for everything.

We also use other colours but that is only at the request of the client and incurs a surcharge.

Regards Brad

>

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
dsnodgrass

mbabne01,

Maybe you could use the wire label commands:

About Wire Color/Gauge Labels

Search the Internet for "autocad electrical wdw"

Wire Label command.png

Message 13 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: dsnodgrass

You sir, are a genius! Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost