Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shortcut menu for grips delay too short.

42 REPLIES 42
Message 1 of 43
InfraChic
8190 Views, 42 Replies

Shortcut menu for grips delay too short.

Running Windows 8.1 Pro, Civil 3D 2015 SP2, PP1. 

Here's my issue and I'm certain someone has also run into this and can remember the system variable to change.  What is the system variable that keeps your shortcut menu up longer so your mouse can actuall go over it to select the option.

I have a polyline. I select the polyline to edit a vertex. The grips light up.  Now the vertx I want to edit is a curve, I want to turn it into a line. So I hover my mouse over the mdidle of the curve on the long rectangular grip and the shortcut menu comes up.  My options are stretch, add vertex and convert to line.  I want to convert to line. When I go to click on that option or just move my mouse away even just the tiniest amount off of the grip the menu disappears. Now in 2015 SP 1 that did not happen I had enough time to go over to the menu with my mouse and select the option I wanted.  Now I can't even do that, the menu disappears so quickly that you can't get to it.  I'm certain it's a system variable that controls the delay time similar to the one for your keyboard entry.  What is that variable?  That's what I need to know. If it's not a variable then how do I fix the delay time on this pop up menu.

Heidi B.

42 REPLIES 42
Message 21 of 43
InfraChic
in reply to: Pointdump

unfortunatly that does not fix the issue at all.  I had already done that 2 days ago and it still persists in the program.  Heidi

Message 22 of 43
jeff_rivers
in reply to: InfraChic

What happens if you press one of the arrow keys, like down-arrow? Does the focus move to the menu, and does it highlight the top option? If so, can you then use the arrow key to select the desired option?

Not a true fix, but could be a workaround until the root problem is solved.

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
Message 23 of 43
caglart

I just had the same problem and the solution was simpler than Autocad menus. Basicly all you have to do is to lower your screen resolution! Apperently the hover menu wasn't designed for high resolutions. Hope it helps.

Message 24 of 43
tcorey
in reply to: caglart

At what resolution does it fail? I run 1900 x 1600 with no issues.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 25 of 43
caglart
in reply to: tcorey

It started happening when I used 1920*1080. Now I'm back to 1600*900.

The clue was the hover menu seemed to be a little too far away from the selected vertex than usual. Like mentioned before, there's no fade out delay whatsoever to let the user to move the cursor to make a selection. For some reason, that menu doesn't seemed to update it's size and/or location accordingly to the resolution. than again, I might be wrong. 

Well, it solved the problem. And I got a deliverable to finish. Good enough for now. 🙂 

Message 26 of 43
InfraChic
in reply to: caglart

There's actually a support ticket that was generated for this issue and it not only affects the Hover menu but also the Help file and the Start Tab of the program.  Basically the Default Display setting for Windows 8, and 8.1 is Medium or 125%.  Civil 3D won't fucntion correctly at this default. If you leave your screen set to 1900Xwhat ever and change the default display setting to Smaller-100% then all the issues go away.  Give that a shot, it fixed all my visual issues.

Heidi B.

Message 27 of 43
ncjarrex

Wow!!!

I was running into this same problem. I kept messing with the GRIPMULTIFUNCTIONAL sysvar to try to resolve. I work with a laptop, and use a larger screen at my desk. The display resolution for the secondary monitor was causing this problem.

So glad someone dug through this crazy problem to reach a solution. I do not use the dynamic grip edit every day. Now I know when I need to do it, all I have to do is use the smaller laptop screen for that task.

Also the Hotkey solution is a viable work-around.

Thanks to everyone for working through this problem a year ago so I was able to solve this quickly.

(I am running regular AutoCAD 2015, on Windows 8.1)

Message 28 of 43
asdemeter
in reply to: ncjarrex

I don't get what's happening...mine worked fine yesterday, and I use it all the time...now I'm stuck, because it magically stopped.  I hover over a line to do "lengthen", and I can't get to the menu...this dynamic hover menu is absolutely indispensable to me, and I haven't changed anything overnight (while the computer was off), so why is it doing this?

Message 29 of 43
InfraChic
in reply to: asdemeter

My suggestion, double check that some windows update didn't reset your display resolution. 

Message 30 of 43
ncjarrex
in reply to: asdemeter

Since you can't get the pointer to the menu, you should enter the 'L' key as a hotkey to invoke the LENGTHEN command.

I typically use my larger monitor at a high resolution for CAD. When I use the shortcut menu on this setup I use hot keys to perform the command.

If that is not a satisfactory solution for you, you should lower your screen resolution. I realize neither option is ideal, and Autodesk needs to resolve this, but I am now running AutoCAD 2017, and the problem is still there.

C'mon Autodesk...this problem needs a fix!!!

Message 31 of 43
reuben.h
in reply to: ncjarrex

I've got this problem on AutoCAD 2017 as well. I've never seen this before but now I'm running CAD on a separate monitor attached to a laptop. The monitor has pretty low resolution.

There is no problem when I use CAD on the laptop monitor but when I move it to the secondary monitor (Asus running at 1920x1080) it doesn't work. I tried lowering the resolution to 1600x900 and that did NOT help.

I guess my only solution is to get a different monitor? Would higher resolution help?

This is very frustrating!

Message 32 of 43
InfraChic
in reply to: reuben.h

Check your DPI settings for that monitor not just the resolution, 100% and 150% works for the shortcut menu but 125% does not. I found that 1920x1080 at 100% text scaling works fine. The minute I set it to 125 I had serious delay issues.

__

Heidi Boutwell
Infrastructure Content Manager

+1(360) 870-3218 Direct/cell
+1(603) 641-3900 Main
[4d-CADLearning-coobrand signature email]
Message 33 of 43
asdemeter

Actually, I've found that if the monitors were plugged in before I started the computer, it worked.  If I plug them in after the fact, no dice.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Message 34 of 43
reuben.h

Interesting. 

I changed the DPI to 150 and it worked but it was like using a children's computer the icons and everything was so big. I changed it to 100% and it's better but it changed on both the laptop monitor and the extra Asus monitor. I really didn't want to change it on the laptop.

I am thankful for the solution Heidi but it really is only a bandaid.

I'd like to try plugging the monitor in before turning on the laptop and see if that helps.

But I rarely turn it off and I'm not going to do that every time I walk up to my desk or remove the laptop.

I'm going to try a different monitor and see if that works.

Message 35 of 43
btillett

Same issue 2015 C3D Laptop with two monitors.  Just posting so I will get an email if anyone comes up with a real fix.  I am not changing monitor resolution for now.  Thanks to everyone for trying to find a solution for this one.

Boris
Message 36 of 43
randyspear6624
in reply to: btillett

I have the same issue... IDS 2015.

New laptop, was working fine today. Put it to sleep, came home and now it doesn't work. None of these solutions work for me, with the exception of DPI, I can't find it in the display setting or the NVIDIA settings.

The only thing that is different at home is I use HDMI  vs at work I use the newer display adapters.

Message 37 of 43
asdemeter
in reply to: randyspear6624

When you go from one display to another, it causes it. What happened for me was that if I turned on the laptop and plugged in my monitors after I turned it on, this problem occurred. As long as it was plugged in and started with the monitors in their positions, it was fine. Hope that helps!
Message 38 of 43
LoganEnvEng
in reply to: AllenJessup

Hi.  I work with lots of land parcel creations and have to routinely edit parcel corners.  This window disappearing issue has recently started effecting me.  This workaround is awesome and much quicker than the traditional method.  Thanks!!!

Message 39 of 43
jerry.k.ouzts
in reply to: LoganEnvEng

Not sure if this will work for everyone:  I restarted my laptop with the dual monitors connected and it returned the function.  My display settings are 1920.  Before trying this the laptop was on and I connected it into my desk port without shutting it down. 

@LoganEnvEng wrote:

Hi.  I work with lots of land parcel creations and have to routinely edit parcel corners.  This window disappearing issue has recently started effecting me.  This workaround is awesome and much quicker than the traditional method.  Thanks!!!

Message 40 of 43
jcooper

You probably aren't experiencing this anymore, but I was experiencing the same thing just yesterday and could not find the answer on any of the discussions, so when I stumbled across a setting that I decided to change and it worked it I decided to post what worked for me.

If you open your Object Snap settings and go to the Quick Properties tab, if you are set on cursor-dependant, you need to increase the distance in pixels.

Tags (2)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report