AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi landing stair

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
4554 Views, 9 Replies

Multi landing stair

I am new to drawing stairs and cannot figure out how to do this one. I have 6 steps, a landing and a half turn, two more steps, another landing and a half turn and then more steps to the floor above. I cannot seem to get the program to draw the 2 steps  mid landing. Do I need to draw it as 2 separate staircases? Is there anywhere that shows an actual step by step process?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
David_W_Koch
in reply to: Anonymous

If I understand what you want correctly (see attached image), change your Turn type to 1/4 landing.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: David_W_Koch

this is exactly what I am trying to do but I cannot get it right, any tips?

Message 4 of 10
David_W_Koch

Take a look at the attached image.  If you do not normally have the Properties palette open all of the time, I recommend opening it before starting.  I placed the stair in a Top (plan) view, with the Vertical orientation set to Up.

1.  After starting the STAIRADD command and before you select any points in the drawing, make certain that, on the Properties palette, on the Design tab, in the Basic category, in the General sub-category that you have the correct Style selected, the Shape is Multi-landing and the Turn type is 1/4 landing.  Verify all other settings.

2.  Select the starting point for the Stair.

3.  Move the cursor in the direction of the first flight, and select a point for the end of the first run/first landing.  Depending upon your stair width and the justification you are using, you may have go beyond the actual number of risers you want in the first run before clicking for the first run ending poin, as the landing may "take back" some.  It did so for center justification in my example.

4.  Move the cursor in the direction of the second run and, allowing for justification and stair width, select a point for the end of the second run.

5.  Move the cursor in the direction of the third run (if this is it for this stair, move the cursor far enough to finish the stair), and select a point.

That should do it.  Depending upon your active Display Representation(s) for Stairs, you may only see the first few treads, up to the cut plane.  Change to an isometric or other "3D" view to see the full stair.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 10
BillGlennie

Thank you for posting great instructions, David.  Two points to add (see the attached image).

1. Under Dimensions, set "Flight length" to "Tread length".  This will prevent the unwanted "take back" of treads when you turn the corner.  And it will turn at the tightest location possible (accounting for landing extensions).

2. The short flight of two treads may still not draw if the Flight Height has a minimum limit (expand the "ADVANCED" section of the Stair Properties to see this setting). 

Hope this helps,  Bill

Bill Glennie
AutoCAD Team, including Architecture and MEP
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 10
David_W_Koch
in reply to: BillGlennie

Thanks for the additional comments.  The extra extensions of the landings bothered me a little, but I did not have time to work out how to reduce or eliminate them.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Thankyou both for your help, I finally got it done.

I did have a lot of difficulty though, I had drawn myself some grid lines and was trying to snap to points. The stair kept coming out very odd shapes. It seems that snapping along the center line of where I know the landing to be just doesn't work, not sure why.(justification set to center). Removing the snaps I got the correct shaped stair although with a much longer first flight, and the landing starting further out. I managed to edit this to the shape I wanted.

Message 8 of 10
BillGlennie

Good to know that you got it done.  When snapping to the center of the landing locations, you should not use the "Flight length = tread length" setting that I mentioned.  That setting works best if you just move the cursor in the desired direction until the "riser number indicator" (xx / yy) shows the desired number of risers. 

I'd be interested to look at the drawing with grid points that you were trying to use.  That would help me understand what went wrong.  You can either attach it here or e-mail bill(dot)glennie(at)autodesk(dot)com.

Thanks,  Bill

Bill Glennie
AutoCAD Team, including Architecture and MEP
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Greetings Sir, I am using 2017 Advance Steel and tried the STAIRADD command and it would not let me, however when I type in STAIRS it asks me to select 4 points then nothing shows up. How do I remedy this?

Message 10 of 10
David_W_Koch

@Anonymous wrote:

Greetings Sir, I am using 2017 Advance Steel and tried the STAIRADD command and it would not let me, however when I type in STAIRS it asks me to select 4 points then nothing shows up. How do I remedy this?

This forum deals with AutoCAD Architecture.  You may find a better response to your Advance Steel question in the Advance Steel General Discussion forum.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report