AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explode blocks

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
625 Views, 9 Replies

Explode blocks

Is it possible in ACA2011 to explode a block, but control what layer the pieces go to?

I have a block for a closet rod and shelf , but it always has to be re-sized once in the drawing

so  i must explode it.  since it was made on layer 0 it explodes to that layer and I have to

change the items to the proper layer.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
MarySeufert
in reply to: Anonymous

Use BURST instead. The block is exploded with the pieces on the block's original layer. ~ Mary

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: MarySeufert

Okay I tried BURST, apparently not a command in 2011, neither is KABOOM!

Message 4 of 10
David_W_Koch

Do you have Express Tools installed? If memory serves, BURST is (or at least it started out as) an Express Tool.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 10
David_W_Koch

KABOOM would be a great name for an "explode all" command.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 6 of 10
MarySeufert
in reply to: David_W_Koch

BURST is an Express Tools command. Why they can't fully integrate the ET commands into base AutoCAD already is beyond me. Smiley Indifferent

~ M

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: MarySeufert

I have no knowledge of express tools.

I thought $4500 or whatever would get one a set of design tools.

Is express tools hiding somewhere in my ACA installation?

Message 8 of 10
David_W_Koch

The Express Tools are not installed by default; you have to actively indicate that you want them installed at the time of installation.  They can be added later.  The Express Tools also may have been installed on the machine, but not loaded into the current workspace, or the ribbon tab may not have been added to your current workspace.

Run the CUI command.  On the Customize tab, set the upper left pane to All Customization Files, then expand the tree view and/or scroll down and expand the Partial Customization Files node.  Do you have a partial customization file listed called "EXPRESS"?  If so, scroll back up to the main customization (ACA for me - your mileage may vary) and expand the Workspaces node, if necessary.  Select the (current) workspace; the upper right pane should be called Workspace Contents (expand the dialog if you only have one column of panes, using the arrow button at the lower right corner).  Expand the Ribbon Tabs node.  Is the Express Tools tab listed?  If it is, but it is not showing in ACA, you can force it to show by removing it and putting it back.  (I just had to do this myself, in ACA 2010.)  Do so by clicking the Customize Workspace button at the top of the Workspace Contents pane.  Then, in the upper left pane, scroll back down to the Partial Customization Files node (expand it if necessary) and then expand the EXPRESS > Ribbon > Tabs nodes.  Clear the checkmark in front of the Tabs node.  The Express Tools tab will disappear from the Tabs node in the Workspace Contents pane.  Click the Apply button in the lower right of the dialog.  Now add the checkmark back to  the Tabs node in the upper left pane.    The Express Tools tab will reappear from the Tabs node in the Workspace Contents pane.  OPTIONAL:  Drag the Express Tools tab to place it in the position you want it to be (tab order).  Click the Done button in the Workspace Contents pane.  Click OK to register your changes and return to the drawing.

If there is no EXPRESS partial CUI file, click Cancel to exit the Custom User Interface dialog and try typing EXPRESSTOOLS at the command prompt.  If the tools were included in the installation, but for some reason were not loaded in your workspace, this will load them.

If EXPRESSTOOLS reports that it did not load anything, then the tools were not installed.  If you have program installation privileges on your computer, with ACA closed, on the Windows control panel, choose Programs and then Programs and Features.  (This is for Windows 7 - previous versions have a similar procedure, but the names may be slightly different.)  Find your AutoCAD Architecture program in the list, select and right click, and choose Uninstall/Change.  This should start a dialog that will allow you to add previously uninstalled features, and you should be able to install the Express Tools.  You will likely need access to the installation disc or files.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 9 of 10
dbroad

There is a wall style available for download, that has a flexible shelf and closet rod.  If you don't want to use that, you should consider learning how to create dynamic blocks that don't need to be exploded.

For download page, see:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=3065989&linkID=9240658

Choose walls and then Wall styles 36.

Even if you do not have the express tools loaded, you can use the select command to get the previous selection set and use the properties palette to target the properties to a particular layer.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Thank you David for the very detailed explanation.  Sadly my installation did not include Express Tools.

So I will have to try the uninstall/change method.  As soon as I gather installation disks or location of said files I will do it.

And yes dbroad i need to learn about dynamic blocks. 

Thanks all for your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report