Did you mean: 

Dimensioning viewports causes AutoCAD to freeze/crash

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1907 Views, 7 Replies

Dimensioning viewports causes AutoCAD to freeze/crash

Hi All,

I have a file only 234kb in size with 3 xrefs loaded. When trying to dimension a viewport using DIMLINEAR or DIMALIGNED commands and I try to snap to a point or zoom into the viewport AutoCAD will hang, for 2 to 3 minutes, sometimes freeze all together. The only way to stop it is to kill the process via task manager so I dont get an error code or crash report.

I have tried the following already:

Turn off hardware accelaration

SAVEFIDELITY turned off

ANNOMONITOR off

ANNOAUTOSCALE off

Anyone else experience this or have any suggestions?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

>> I have a file only 234kb in size with 3 xrefs loaded

And what filesizes do the XRef's have?

Close your drawing, open it with command _RECOVERALL, that repairs the database if there are errors in it.

Also interesting:

• is it possible that there are some proxies in the XRef's (objects created with a vertical product or a third party application)?
  • have you tried to reduce the activated osnaps?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Thanks for your response Alfred,

The xrefs are about 3MB and 1.5MB. Ive tried only loading one which is about 1.5MB still the same. The xrefs dont have any proxie items I created them myself.

I tried your suggestion to do a recorverall, and to reduce the activated osnaps. Still no fix. I have also tried starting the drawing from scratch, did not fix it.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi Alfred,

Your queries about the xref got me wondering and I did some more tests. Any other xref works fine in that file. I have narrowed it down to one particular xref that is causing the issue. I have tried doing an audit, recover on the xref but still the same. I am not sure why this one is different, I have created multiple xrefs all the same way and its only this one causing issues.

Any more thoughts?

Message 5 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Any more thoughts?

If you create a new drawing and attach this "problem"-XRef, do you get the same problems now with osnap?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Yes I do. I opened a blank new file. Inserted a viewport I had setup in the file in question and froze again when I tried to dimension.

I did it a second time execpt, I created a brand new viewport instead of copying the one from the existing file. It seems to be working OK. It must be the file which is corrupt, or the viewports somehow??

I may have to scrap it all together and start from scratch I think.
Message 7 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I created a brand new viewport instead of copying the one from the existing file. It seems to be working OK

Then I guess it's more the viewport, but it sounds strange then that this appear only with that one XRef.

Do you have a chance to upload the drawing with the "defect" viewport + the source XRef so we can look into it?

Otherweise this:

>> I may have to scrap it all together and start from scratch I think.

is what you have to do as you found that this helped 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Hello again,

It has been a long time, and I thought starting from scratch would fix my trouble so I left it for more pressing issues. Now that I have come back to it, I find that I have the same problem. Short of doing the XREF again, I dont know what to do.

I have attached the file with the xref inserted as a block (still the same issue happens), coud you have a look and see if the same thing happens to you?

Thanks,

I appreciate the help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report