Did you mean: 

Could we re-llink reference files when folder & file have been renamed

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
pixelarch
1848 Views, 3 Replies

Could we re-llink reference files when folder & file have been renamed

Dear All,

I knew how to use Reference Manager to replace xref saved path. Otherwise, if we change the xref file name also, RM could help?

Regards,

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
maxim_k
in reply to: pixelarch

I think you can relink xref in RM after you rename file name of referenced drawing the same way as you can relink xref to any of existing DWG files.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 4
heinsite

Yes.  When you open the file and see the message the drawing can't find the xref, open the References Manager and repoint the file to the newly named file.  Use the "Found at:" area near the bottom of the Manager dialog box.  Click the three dots elipsis ... and go find the file you need.  It should work from then on until you move it or rename it again. 🙂

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Pxelarch,

As an alternative tool, you could do that in BatchInDatabase or BatchInEditor.

For a single xref file, use the command "Xref-Replace Path" and you can add multiple times for every xref file

Xref-Replace Path.PNG

For multiple files , you could do that using command "Redirect Refences"

you can direct all references to point to new folder by entering *  at the old path filed and give new folder name in the new path field or you can use this as find/Replace strings in path including file name

for an example:

Let say,You have Xref files for the Preliminary phase which starts with X-ABC-000-FILE NAME and wants to move to next phase Detail Design but wants to keep the preliminary xrefs as it is until the submission is approved or to resubmit again with some revision or for any other reason.

Now you have files copied to new location that is under Detail design folder (as shown in the image) with new name X-ABC-001-FILE NAME

here you have new folder plus renamed xref files (from X-ABC-000- to X-ABC-001-).

Now enter strings "P:\PRELIMINARY DESIGN\XREF\X-ABC-000-" in the old path and

"P:\DETAIL DESIGN\XREF\X-ABC-001-" in the new path

this operation will change all xref files path matching with sarting string to new path string, if you have multiple directories then you can add this command multiple times for each different folders.

Redirect References.PNG

see your self and these tools are completely free, no strings attached, the inital free version will run for maximum of 3 files only and registered version has no limitation (you only have to register with your informations, no $ at all and the information is just to know how many users are using my tools). these tools are developed for my and my friends use and I thought to share to AutoCAD community to spread beyond internal use. I have already submitted to Autodesk Exchange and got the confirmation that the review is over and will be availble for public soon.

Note to remember, I have tested for bugs and error to my level best and could not confirm that now these are error free, so be cautious, always use test run to confirm it.

Watch the avalable videos in the website http://www.CADManagerTools.com to learn how to use the available commands.

Enjoy.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report