Did you mean: 

NVIDIA GTX950M not recognized in Autocad 2017

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
3737 Views, 6 Replies

NVIDIA GTX950M not recognized in Autocad 2017

Hi,

I recently bought an HP Laptop (Pavilion Gaming 15-ak102nl) that meets all system requirements for Autocad 2017.

I've just downloaded the trial version and i noticed that the software can't recognize my nVdia GeForce GTX950M, but only the standard Intel graphic card (Intel HD Graphics 530) that is not good enough for hardware acceleration and the software sometimes works very slow.

I downloaded latest video drivers, I looked at all the tips in the forum about nvidia issues and i tried everything but it still doesn't work properly. I also asked to nVIDIA customer service and they told me that it's probably due to incompatibility between GeForce card drivers and Autocad. They also suggested me to ask to Autodesk which nvidia driver i need to download in order to fix the problem.

Does anyone know how to make Autocad recognize GeForce GTX950M display adapter?

Thanks for your help,

Marco

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

AutoCAD is not a game. It's best to purchase a 'mobile' workstation instead IMHO instead of a consumer gaming unit.

Read this to fix the first issue you are reporting: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/AutoCA...
and
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/hardware/disabling-nvidia-optimus-amp-perform-clean-install/td-p/43632...

And about the only driver you can get that works, once you fix the problem above, is from here if one exists http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?id=18844534&siteID=123112
Message 3 of 7
nrz13

It's more likely the poor coding in AutoCAD 2016/2017 that prohibits the end user from selecting the correct graphics card for the program.  The solution I know is to disable the onboard graphics card in your EUFI/BIOS, if your manufacturer allows it.  Others have had mixed results by assigning the dedicated graphics card in the NVIDIA control panel.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

I'm aware Autocad is not a game, i was just wondering why it doesn't work properly on a laptop that meets (easily) all minimum requirements, considering i've used it on much less powerful computers with no issues.

Unofrtunately my bios doesn't allow me to disable the integrated graphic card and I've already tried everything else with no results.

I'll keep on trying!

Thanks for your support.

Marco

Message 5 of 7
pendean
in reply to: nrz13

>>>...I'm aware Autocad is not a game...<<<
Did autodesk specifically note your gaming laptop is supported? I looked here but wasn't sure which one was yours if it was even listed http://hardware.autodesk.com

>>> laptop that meets (easily) all minimum requirements...<<<
So do all laptops and desktop at officedepot and walmart, that's not a reason to buy any of those either. Sorry.

>>>...It's more likely the poor coding in AutoCAD...<<<
We can go with that strawman argument, or we can ignore the stories about black helicopters and simply try finding a solution to solve the actual problem.

If your bios does not allow disabling the default video option, try web searching your laptop manufacturer's web support forums for other users like you trying to do the same thing. Or consider asking there, I'm sure something can be done to get you where you need to be.
I'll get you started with a web search here https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&q=how+to+disable+HP+Pavilion+video+card

Good luck.
Message 6 of 7
nrz13
in reply to: pendean

@pendean

>>>...It's more likely the poor coding in AutoCAD...<<<
We can go with that strawman argument, or we can ignore the stories about black helicopters and simply try finding a solution to solve the actual problem.

Are you suggesting it's not a coding problem from Autodesk?  If it's not a poor coding issue, then how is it that every other software product is able to run with the correct card by default or by setting it through the graphics card control panel?  Autodesk doesn't even allow this.  As for finding a solution, I did mention two workarounds to the issue...

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

">>>...It's more likely the poor coding in AutoCAD...<<<
We can go with that strawman argument, or we can ignore the stories about black helicopters and simply try finding a solution to solve the actual problem."

Given the fact that there was a hotfix for this exact issue in one of the earlier Autocad versions, (either 2014 or 2015 I believe) and also the fact that I can get Autocad to use my dedicated AMD hardware on my old HP Pavillion, which is the Radeon 6770M, then yes, I'm guessing it's some kind of deficiency in Autocad that's causing this issue.  I can't get r2017 to recognize or use my GTX 970M.  You say it's because it's not a Quadro and therefore not supported by Autocad and that's what's causing Autocad to not recognize it.  But it does in fact recognize the 6770M in my old Pavillion and that's not a supported graphics chip neither.  

In nVidia Control Panel I have my system set to use the dedicated graphics card globally as well as having Autocad individually set to use the dedicated graphics.  But STILL, when I load Autocad, it still won't use it and shows the Intel 530 as being used instead.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report