Did you mean: 

loft as a solid

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
Anonymous
2164 Views, 21 Replies

loft as a solid

There have been multiple threads that demonstrate that the loft feature is ignoring the Solid option, and in fact the dialogue box under settings is greyed out and not available.  I've been trying to do the same thing this week with no luck from any possible strategy. 

Attached is a screen shot of the settings option that is unavailable to generate solid.  You can see the chamber in the background that I've been trying to fill multiple ways, with no success, for a fluid modeling application.

Has this issue been fixed by now, and if not, what are my options?  Thank you!

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
Patchy
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you save the .dwg to 2007 format and attach it here?

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: Patchy

Sure.  It is attached.

Message 4 of 22
Patchy

It was drawn in ISOMETRIC mode, the shape is actually a rectangle in PLAN view and the vertices are overlapping so you can't LOFT.

Capture.JPG

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous

You are saying that it should have been drawing differently, and if so, then how?   I see what you are saying, but I didn't realize that you could not loft to the same shape, that it had to be generated via 'non-overlapping shapes.

How then, at this point, to make it solid?  Sweep doesn't work either.  Can I make it loft the other direction then, with some modifications?

Thanks -

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous

I would add that we've tried pulling the file into Workbench (ANSYS) and can't fill it either.
Message 7 of 22
Patchy

List the dimensions and draw it correctly on World UCS and LOFT.

Capture.JPG

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous

Tried lofting the other direction, with all horizontal boundaries removed, and it says that the output body self intersects. You would think it would work horizontally, since there is a slope on the bottom surface, and therefore the profiles are not identical.
Message 9 of 22
Anonymous

Can you send this as an attachment? I can't see closely enough to confirm whether there is a chamfered edge on the side closest to the two incoming channels. Can you also send a link explaining why it made a difference to construct it in World UCS vs Isometric?
Message 10 of 22
Patchy

Isometric is just a fake, it has same Z value, therefore two shapes can't be LOFTED.

Capture.JPG

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous

I started out in world UCS, but moved around to construct. Not sure how I would have done that differently, but thanks.
Message 12 of 22
Anonymous

I'm still getting the same result!
Message 13 of 22
Patchy

SNAPSTYL , Use 0, get out of Isometric and start using the Viewcube (or anything you draw can't be LOFTED)

Capture.JPG

Message 14 of 22
wispoxy

Well said @Patchy

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous

Was pulled for a meeting.  Can you please explain what you mean by "drawing correctly in World UCS"?  I tried to copy the same form after changing to World UCS. That just lofted again.  Why does this not work?

Message 16 of 22
Patchy

Attach your latest .dwg (in 2007)

and let's see your progress. It's easier than guessing It Doesn't Work

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous

Here you go.  Not fully redrawn.

Message 18 of 22
Patchy

It would be a miracle this shape can be constructed in the field, all surfaces and no thickness.

Capture.JPG

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous

It's already built!  So how did you do this?

We're just modeling it now to troubleshoot grit settling at low flows on the side of the chamber opposite the exit pipe.  The two channels replaced old brick sewers to work around existing conditions, in changes to I-95 passing through Philadelphia.  We'll probably be removing some depth at that corner to mitigate the problem.

Thanks a million however.

Message 20 of 22
Anonymous

The file is constructed as it is to import into ANSYS fluid modeling, not for construction.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report