Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Copy/Monitor to Copy Detail Groups

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
tim102289
3171 Views, 5 Replies

Use Copy/Monitor to Copy Detail Groups

I have a linked Architectural Model in my MEP Revit Model and was curious as to whether there is a way to use the Copy/Monitor feature to copy a detail group from the architectural model into mine.  The architects drew a detail showing where the separation line is that divides the first part of one phase and the second part of a phase, and I would like to just include that in our model.  Here is a picture of what is in the architectural model (the red line, arrows, and labels of Phase 3a and Phase 3b):

detail_group.png

Tim Smith
IT Manager, Mechanical Engineer  |  Motz Engineering

“There is nothing more expensive than hiring cheap engineers.”
Experienced in Revit MEP/AutoCAD/Sketchup | Autodesk BPA Certificate
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CoreyDaun
in reply to: tim102289

You cannot use Copy/Monitor for annotative elements, but you should be able to Copy/Paste it from their model into yours. Let us know if this method will not suit your needs. There may be a alternate method we can find if you anticipate it changing, but the price of such possibilities would be complication...

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 6
tim102289

Yeah I asked because it has changed before during this project.  However, this far along, I would hope that it wouldn't change again.  I believe they have planned out a temporary wall to go there to section off the building, so hopefully this will not be changing again.  Do you know of any way I could link it however, so that it would update if the model was changed?

Tim Smith

Message 4 of 6
CoreyDaun

Personally, here's what I would do:

1. Create a new Elevation or Section View.

2. Go to the View's V/G Overrides, and to the 'Revit Links' tab.

3. Under 'Display Settings' on the first tab, set it to "By Linked View" and specify a View in which they show this.

4. Back in the View, turn off all other Categories and hide the other elements, so that only their detail is displayed.

5. On the Sheets, overlay this View on top of your View. Create dependent Views for additional uses as needed.

6. Select that View and use "HE" (hide element) to make it unselectable and to hide it's View Tag. (It still prints.)

**This is assuming that this detail is shown on an Elevation or Section, and NOT in a Drafting View, in the linked model.

Just ask if you have any questions!

EDIT: I was assuming that this was a detail to be shown in elevation views. This same procedure will work for Floor Plans, too.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 6
tim102289
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Yeah it is actually in a Floor Plan view.  By using that method, it will show on the sheets, but it would not show in the views, correct?  Since the detail would actually be in its own view, and simply overlapped on the sheet.  That would mean if you needed to see it while working in the view, you would have to open the sheet and Activate View correct?  I went ahead and did the Copy/Paste suggestion mentioned above, but I was just curious about this workaround you have now provided.  Thanks for all the info.

Tim Smith

Message 6 of 6
CoreyDaun

OK! I just thought of another possibility:

1. Create a new Floor Plan View.

2. Set the V/G to "By Linked View" as per the previous instructions.

3. Click on Matchline (on the Views tab).

4. Using the "Pick Lines" method, you can select the lines in the linked model and constrain them.

5. Click finish!

Matchlines are unique annotative elements that will appear in all Views, and constraining the lines to the detail lines in the linked model should keep you up to date with their changes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report