Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model keeps regenerating, WHY

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
Anonymous
9742 Views, 27 Replies

Model keeps regenerating, WHY

Model keeps on regenerating even when doing the simpliest things like deleteing and element to drawning a pipe. It just seems to take for ever to do anything while working in a callaboration project. Someone said it might be my graphics card. Any help would be nice, thanks.

27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
gte959s
in reply to: Anonymous

Same issue here on some drawings on certain days.  Not everyday though.

Message 3 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: gte959s

Over the past two days my Revit file has started regenerating with every command. 

eg. placing a wall reveal, placing a window, deleting a window. This has made working nearly impossible, as every command takes 45secs-1minute to complete.

I have purged my model, made sure 'enable analytical model' in properties is turned off, made a new central file, removed cad and revit links and went through the warning list but to no avail.

I had our IT guys clean my computer but the problem persists. I also had a colleague open the file on her computer to test it out. She had the same slow/regenerating issues! Something has gone wrong in the file somewhere? But where?

I haven't been using tiled views. I have also deleted unnecessary views in the model and purged the model.

I took an older local file and tested it to make sure the regenerating wasn't happening in this file. Then I began re-doing the work I had done. Eventually the regenerating and slowness started again in this file. I am currently adding windows, wall reaveals and wall openings to concept walls in a model. Nothing to tricky, but very, very slow. Too slow to work in and not fun when you have an approaching deadline.

Please help!

Message 4 of 28
L.Maas

Always difficult to pinpoint what is causing this. Some causes I have experienced that slowed down Revit.

-Hardware. Not sufficent for the project size (memory, harddisk, processor)

-Network issues. 'damaged' network cards or other colleagues with slow network cards (100mb instead of 1gb).

-Too many things open at the same time. Within Revit too many views open (e.g large schedules). Also too many other software active.

-Too many highly detailed families. Or 'super'families (i.e. a single family with options for all kinds of situations)

-Families containing foreign file formats (e.g. 3d dwg, sat, skp)

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: L.Maas

Thanks louis,

My machine is very powerful and has delt with biigger and more complex files than this.

I have opened other files in the same file location and the issue isn't happening in any other file. I don't think it is a network problem either.

I have no other software open and i have working in one view. i have also deleted all the views i don't need in the model.

The model at present is basic concept walls and concept floors (no detail/materials), and no familes other than standard windows and doors. I have groups in the model, but I have also worked in another file with more groups than this, with no issues.

Really stumped! 

Message 6 of 28
pteague

What version of Revit?
Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: pteague

Message 8 of 28
pteague

In the past, I've had issues with things slowing way down if I had the System Browser open while I was working, but that generally stopped happening with Revit 2014 for me.
Message 9 of 28
Anonymous

My system browser is off 😞

Message 10 of 28
pteague

Seems to be quite the mystery. Sorry to be of no help.
Message 11 of 28
Anonymous

Yes, slowly loosing my mind! 

Thanks for trying!

Message 12 of 28
Anonymous

If you haven't already, try turning off Hardware Acceleration in the options.

If that doesn't work, check your linked models for large families/dwgs/image files/etc.

If that doesn't work, try reducing the detail level of your view(s).

When I've encountered this behavior, one of these things usually alleviates it. If not, try updating your video card driver. That's also been a consistent problem for us.
Message 13 of 28
Anonymous

I have removed all my linked models and files.

I have reduced the detail to course and hidden line. the model is just concept walls and floors at present so it doesnt have much detail in it anyway.

I have turned off my hardware acceleration in the options.

My computer is fairly new and a great machine. I don't think I need to update my video card driver, but I will keep it in mind.

It looks like I am going to have to remake the entire file. Devastating!

Thank you for your suggestions! 

Message 14 of 28
Anonymous

So was there any movement on this issue?  Any new insights?

Message 15 of 28
Anonymous

I have a similar issue.  We replaced the PC with a much more powerful machine.  Same issue.  We had another user on another machine work on the same model with no issues.   We had user 1 log into user 2's machine and the issue followed the user.   This indicates the issue is with the user account and not the machine.  What i don't know/understand, is what options I have that are user account specific?  Seems any account settings would be permission related rather than performance.   Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Message 16 of 28
Masnasalama

We had an issue with systems, where the regenerating process was stooping us from making edits, it Threw naming errors. It was not the same on all pcs. We finally got a handle on it by resting revit on all pcs to factory default. More in this link:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/getting-started/caas/simplecontent/content/aut...

Message 17 of 28
nomaankhatri
in reply to: L.Maas

I had to hide all the cad links & it worked for me.

Thanks

Message 18 of 28
JoshuamRivera

I experienced this within many years as a user of Revit and AutoCAD. Always wth a dead end. The only solution is to open up a new file then copy the model elements over and save that file as the new file. Problem disappears. So my conclusion always been is the ghost within that is glitching it.

Message 19 of 28
mmc123mac

make sure that if you have a lot of cad files linked in that they are unlinked if not needed.

Message 20 of 28
semi

try disabling all your addins - like SoFiSTiK, Naviate,...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report