Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parametric text

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
4633 Views, 6 Replies

Parametric text

I was wondering if it is possible to create text and then attach a formula to it to change it.

For example:

I want to be able to draw or pick a line and if the line is less than X ft than "Say this" if the line is greater than X ft than "Say that"

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Tony

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes, it is possible to say "if this length is this, this text is that". What is not possible yet is the other way around.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks,

Any examples on how to get started in doing this?  I am sort of new to families especially formula ones.  Not sure how to start this.  What template do I use?  How to associate the text with the lenght?

Thanks for your input

Tony

Message 4 of 7
AJA14

Hi.

1- Create a new family starting from a Generic line based family.

2- Add a text in the required location.

3- Create a new family instance parameter with the required formula (Say: if(Length > 1000 mm, "Hello", "Hi"))

4- Next to the text property in the properties palette, there is a small button, click that and choose the new parameter you created in step 3.

5- Flex your line to make sure it works.

6- Save it as a new family.

7- Load it into your project and try it.

If this solves your problem, please Accept As Solution.

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: AJA14

Thanks Ali,

I think I am almost there.  I was able to create this and make it work using Model text however is it possible to make it work with annotation text

Message 6 of 7
Alfredo_Medina

Yes, for that you need not a text, but a label in a generic annotation family, nested into the family that has the length parameter.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 7 of 7
CoreyDaun

Create a new Generic Annotation Family. Under the Home tab, click "Label" and then click in the drawing area. A Dialog box will appear, which controls the display of the Label, or which parameters are reported. Click the 'New' icon in the bottom left corner and you will be prompted to name a new Parameter. The name is pretty much irrelevant, so call it whatever you wish. Click on the pull-down next to "Type of Parameter:" and select Text. Click OK. Now click the button with the green arrow to add this parameter to your Label. Click OK. Click on the button with the four blue squares on the top left of the Home tab. Enter a Value for your parameter - it can be anything, it's irrelevant. Click OK.

Once you have customized the appearance of this Label (via Type Properties) place it in the center of the Reference Planes (the green, dashed lines). Load this into your Family and place and instance of it in the Ref. Level View. Select that instance and go to Type Properties. In the following dialog, you'll see you're Parameter. Click on the tiny gray button to the right of it in order to link it to the Text Parameter you have in the host family.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report