Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improvements to the Measure tool

Improvements to the Measure tool

1) When measuring a point to point or object to object distance, provide the X, Y, and Z offset in world space in addition to the shortest distance. 

2) Have the Measure tool generate snaps as the Joint tool does- so if you want to measure the distance between the center point of a cylinder, say, and another point you can do so without needing to create additional construction features.

24 Comments
Oceanconcepts
Advisor

Just as another illustration of deficiencies in the measure tool, I need to check the center to center distance and the overall length on this simple part. This kind of thing would be a very common activity for me. 

Fusion 360ScreenSnapz011.png

In other systems, this would be a two click operation, in Fusion it would involve numerous steps- including creating construction elements I don't otherwise need and that clutter the interface- and a real interruption to the workflow. I can't get the measure tool to select the appropriate points. The Joints tool can find these things- why not Measure? 

This Idea was posted at  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Request-a-Feature-Fusion-360/Improvements-to-the-Measure-tool/idi-p/43...

Ron

kellings
Advisor

Agreed Ron. I just gave this a try. Knowing how easily this can be done in Inventor I thought for sure you were just missing something. But after 10 minutes of trying, I couldn't figure out how to measure this using just the measure tool.

Hopefully this is an easy fix for them as they have this working fine in Inventor. Not sure if they can "borrow" code or if it needs to be implemented from scratch though.

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: 実装済み

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: 実装済み

schneik-adsk
Community Manager

To get specific, would adding the following improvments colse the gap:

1. arc/cicle center points
  2. curve/edge midpoints
  3. Arc cicrcle, quadrant points
  4. Cylinder/cone axis
  5. Sphere centerpoint

Oceanconcepts
Advisor

Without thinking too deeply about it, I think those additional snap points would cover most of the issues- if we also get the X-Y-Z offsets as part of the measure tool. Very often for me it's that offset I need to know. 

Ron

kellings
Advisor

I like the way the SolidWorks measure tool reports back what it is measuring. X, Y, Z and direct distance between the two points. Pretty easy to visually see what the numbers are linked to.

ehb403
Participant

The additions mentioned would be great -- especially the cylinder/ cone axis.  

This change could permeate to the move face or scale commands -- it's nice to know how far you're moving something, but if it's been a while since you made the model it would also be nice to know the new measurement as you're scaling.

jsquaredz
Advocate

I would also like if the measure tool generated construction axis perpendicular to its endpoints.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Coming from the graphics publishing industry (25 years) and using page-layout tools, I'm used to having some basic dimensions info always visible in a info palette. It seems unneccessary to always have to click on the Measure tool just to get dimensions after I have clicked on an object. Why make this always a two-step process? The basic length/distance info should always be visible when clicking on an object.

Just my 2-cents.

MAJ

EDIT: My ebay manager browser plugin keeps inserting HTML tags.

kjellhar
Advocate

When measuring on a 3D body, I often want to measure the distance beteween a hole and an edge. Now, if I select a hole and an edge, it will measure the minimum distance between the circumference of the hole and the edge. There really should be a way to select the center of the hole (or circular extrusion).

Also, it may be interesting to measure from the midpoint of an edge to verify symetri. This is also something I cannot select rigth now.

So it may seem like a good idea to expand the possible selection points when doing measurements.

Best regards,

Kjell

kjellhar
Advocate

In case anyone feel like commenting on this, please head over to an older post instead.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation-request-a/improvements-to-the-measure-tool/idi-...

It is basically the same idea, but I didn't spot it before posting this.

Kjell

kjellhar
Advocate

I posted the same idea before I knew this one already existed. So instead I would like to endorse this one. 

The ability to do fast and accurate measurements are important, and to do that you need access to as many features as you can. A point at the center of a hole (one at each end) would help measuring the distance from a hole to an edge much simpler. Also, it could be interesting to be able to select the midpoint of an edge. Did anyone mention selcting quadrants.

I'd say, just go crazy, if you can measure most of the stuff without sorting to construction features or sketches, it'll save both a lot of work and clutter.

I've spend some time with SharkFX. The snap feature is IMO way much better in that program, both for measuring and other operations. Most, if not all of the options mentioned in this thread is avaialble there.

Kjell

Anonymous
Not applicable

If the inspect tool could show the X and Y distances as well as the overal length between the two selections that would be very helpful. Currently, (unless I am missing something) I have to use the inspect tool twice to find out this information

Tags (3)
Oceanconcepts
Advisor

I think this is duplicating this old idea: 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation-request-a/improvements-to-the-measure-tool/idi-...

You might want to add your comments there. 

You can now (thanks, Fusion team) get X-Y-Z deltas on many objects using the measure tool. It seems to depend on what you are selecting- in this case two sketch points. Select the XYZ Delta checkbox, it's not on by default.

Fusion 360ScreenSnapz051.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks @Oceanconcepts for the idea! I'm glad to see some of the functionality is there. It would be nice if that option existed for measurements other than point to point as well. Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd like to see XYZ delta measurements from features other than points as well. For example, If I click the walls of a hole feature, and the nearest wall edge, I'd like to see the delta XYZ measurements, not just the closest point.

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: 実装予定

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: Implemented

Thank you for your idea, I am changing this to Implemented because we have provided a solution for the idea posted in #1.  If you believe that there is more to be done, please submit another idea.  I would also like to inform you that we are working on the visual feedback that this tool gives you.  We are exploring thicker, brighter lines along with coloring the x, y and z with the correlating color in the dialog box.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

Oceanconcepts
Advisor

Mike,

I don’t see how this idea can possibly be considered implemented. 

Only first point has been addressed, in that the measure tool can now provide an X-Y-Z delta.  

The second, and I would argue more important point is not implemented. We still cannot measure between the center point of a hole / cylinder / arc / sphere and another feature- which I believe is a glaring omission in this tool. If the measure tool had snaps like the joint tool, that would justify an implemented status. The problem illustrated in the very first reply is still not solved, and it’s something that is very basic to CAD utility. I can’t measure center to center or quadrant to quadrant of a cylindrical body or hole without creating construction features I don’t otherwise need. 

As in schneik’s above post from 9/15/2013, the measure tool should provide snaps to:

1. arc/circle center points
  2. curve/edge midpoints
  3. Arc circle, quadrant points
  4. Cylinder/cone axis
  5. Sphere centerpoint

Clearly a lot of Fusion users agree that this is something Important to have. What is the thinking behind changing the status? I would think from Autodesk’s perspective it would be important to keep track of ideas that are not yet implemented, and have many comments and votes. 

There should probably be the ability in the idea Station to append notes to the original idea to reflect changes or new information. 

-Ron

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report