Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Dynamic Block Question.

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
Anonymous
808 Views, 25 Replies

General Dynamic Block Question.

Hey there, My name is Jack and I have just recently became an Autocad 2010 LT User.

I have a general question about dynamic blocks. I have taken a job at a window factory, and my boss is asking me to make drawings (via AutoCad LT) of a large list of windows, and their individual sizes. Since there are many different sizes of the same window drawing, I was wondering if there is any possible way as a whole that I could make the drawing into a block and use it as a start point in a new drawing. With this, the drawing would be complete and all that would be required is entering the measurments of the width and height in inches, thus, the drawing would be scaled according to what measurments have been punched in. Presently I have been just redrawing the same window with the alternate measurments repeatedly. I have already looked into the command, but from what I can tell the only way to enlarge the block is by scale factor. Is there any possble way that i can enter dimentions in inches? If so can someone be so kind to explain the procedure to me?

I have already posted a duplicate post in a different forum, but this forums seems more appropriate for the question I have.
http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=6246909&

Also included is a 2010 LT drawing example of a basic, general drawing I would like to resize into multiple other measurments.
If there is a possible way of doing this, it would save me the time of having to redraw the same window every time.

Thank you!
Jack. Edited by: jackbkmp on Sep 1, 2009 5:58 PM
25 REPLIES 25
Message 21 of 26
Charles_Shade
in reply to: Anonymous

I did not see any actions assigned to your Parameters in the jpg. Need to have Stretch Actions for it to stretch.
Dynamic Properties are the Parameters and Actions.
Message 22 of 26
Anonymous

I hate being a novice, I really do.

The stretch command does make sense. I am trying to apply it to the drawing.
I still dont know if the picture is supposed be remain exploded, or altogether as a single block. The single block makes more sense.

When I hit the stretch command it tells me to select parameter.
I click the side parameter. (height)

Then It says "specify parameter point to associate with action or enter'
ill click the bottom left of the window cause it seems its asking where i want the block to stretch from. i want the whole thing to stretch so that makes sense. I could be completely wrong.

Then.. well actually at this point im a bit confused as to what the commands want...
Message 23 of 26
Charles_Shade

The drawing in the BE should be all single entities, not a block. You give it a name in the BE so that you insert a block into Model Space.
You are correct in selecting the Parameter according to the Action. When you place the Linear Parameter start at the stationary end (in your case and the way mine is constructed) at the bottom and pick the other end in the direction you want the stretch to happen.
Grab a Stretch Action from the Palette. It will, as you said, ask for the Parameter, then what point to asscociate, if you want to go north then pick the top grip, it will then ask for a selection window, just like if you are doing a crossing stretch in Model Space, then to pick the entities to stretch (these you can do one at a time or by a crossing window which is a little different than stretch in Model Space).
Message 24 of 26
Charles_Shade

this is just the rectangle in dwg format
Message 25 of 26
Anonymous

okay, well i assume that the 1,2 and 3 are the steps that i should follow for the stretch commands..?
and start the command at the top left. this should create a verticle stretch. correct?

Then at select objects, I should select the outer line?
thanks again.
Message 26 of 26
Charles_Shade

1, 2, & 3 are the three lines that are going to stretch in this example. The two figures are identical and I guess should really be superimposed and be just one but I though putting all those directons on one figure would have been even more confusing.
Look at how the dwg on the next post uses the Stretch Actions. The area being stretched is 90deg from the parameter. Or just forget all about the DWT. It may be more confusing than its worth.
I sure wish I could open your block.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report