Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWF loads very slow on web page

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
328 Views, 13 Replies

DWF loads very slow on web page

I have updated our detail bank on our Intranet to the dwf6 format. now when I open up the web page it takes minutues to load the dwf files when it used to take maybe 10 seconds. If I just open the dwf file it opens very fast but when it is on the web page it is slow. I am using the latest dwf viewer and I used Acroplot to convert all the drawings to dwf. Thanks, Jason Stevens RGS Associates
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

What do the object tags look like in your HTML? "Jason Stevens" wrote in message news:41b5fd3a_2@newsprd01... >I have updated our detail bank on our Intranet to the dwf6 format. now >when I open up the web page it takes minutues to load the dwf files when it >used to take maybe 10 seconds. If I just open the dwf file it opens very >fast but when it is on the web page it is slow. I am using the latest dwf >viewer and I used Acroplot to convert all the drawings to dwf.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

I have made it as simple as possible. "Scott Sheppard - Océ" wrote in message news:41b604dd$1_3@newsprd01... > What do the object tags look like in your HTML? > > "Jason Stevens" wrote in message > news:41b5fd3a_2@newsprd01... >>I have updated our detail bank on our Intranet to the dwf6 format. now >>when I open up the web page it takes minutues to load the dwf files when >>it used to take maybe 10 seconds. If I just open the dwf file it opens >>very fast but when it is on the web page it is slow. I am using the >>latest dwf viewer and I used Acroplot to convert all the drawings to dwf. > >
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

Yes you have. What happens if you put the DWF file in the same directory as the HTML page? Maybe reading it off the y drive is causing the slow down? I assume the file size is the same as it has always been, since you say the DWF files themselves open up locally very fast. "Jason Stevens" wrote in message news:41b606a0$1_3@newsprd01... > "clsid:A662DA7E-CCB7-4743-B71A-D817F6D575DF"> > > > > I have made it as simple as possible.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

May I suggest you open the file in the standalone application from the Y drive and then from the web page. Please keep in mind, when opening an HTML file with the view embedded in it, the viewer has to load, then the DWF loads, where in standalone the viewer is already loaded (or partly loaded) making the open appear faster. -- John Schmier Autodesk DWF QA
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

What do you mean open it in the standalone app and then from the web page? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the web site? Jason "John Schmier - Autodesk" wrote in message news:41b61359$1_1@newsprd01... > May I suggest you open the file in the standalone application from the Y > drive and then from the web page. > > Please keep in mind, when opening an HTML file with the view embedded in > it, > the viewer has to load, then the DWF loads, where in standalone the viewer > is already loaded (or partly loaded) making the open appear faster. > > -- > > John Schmier > Autodesk DWF QA > >
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

It's just a test to see if the web site and the viewer are equally as slow. This will help me determine where the slowness you are experiencing is. Internally I commonly refer to the executable (invoking the viewer from the start menu) as the stand alone application. If you could perform the following: Open the viewer from the start menu Load the DWF with the file open dialog box and typing in the full path to the same exact DWF file located on the server (y:\acad\details\cu-001.dwf) or (http://server/share/acad/details/cu-001.dwf) Try both ways of opening if you could0 Pay attention to the load times Now, open the pages from the web site with a web browser. Does the DWF load slower on the web site, and by how much? -- John Schmier Autodesk DWF QA
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

How big are your files? What version of IE are you using? IE6 will automatically cache the file, so it's actually making a slow copy when you view it. "Jason Stevens" wrote in message news:41b5fd3a_2@newsprd01... > I have updated our detail bank on our Intranet to the dwf6 format. now when > I open up the web page it takes minutues to load the dwf files when it used > to take maybe 10 seconds. If I just open the dwf file it opens very fast > but when it is on the web page it is slow. I am using the latest dwf viewer > and I used Acroplot to convert all the drawings to dwf. > > Thanks, > Jason Stevens > RGS Associates > >
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

John, They open fast individually using both methods. On the web site there are multiple files on the same page. Could that be the cause eventhough it used to be fine with just the whip viewer? Jason "John Schmier - Autodesk" wrote in message news:41b626db$1_2@newsprd01... > It's just a test to see if the web site and the viewer are equally as > slow. > This will help me determine where the slowness you are experiencing is. > > Internally I commonly refer to the executable (invoking the viewer from > the > start menu) as the stand alone application. > > If you could perform the following: > > Open the viewer from the start menu > Load the DWF with the file open dialog box and typing in the full path to > the same exact DWF file located on the server (y:\acad\details\cu-001.dwf) > or (http://server/share/acad/details/cu-001.dwf) Try both ways of opening > if you could0 > Pay attention to the load times > > Now, open the pages from the web site with a web browser. Does the DWF > load > slower on the web site, and by how much? > > > > -- > > John Schmier > Autodesk DWF QA > >
Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

The files are all only about 15KB. I am using the latest version of IE6 with all patches. It's not any faster the second or third time you open the page. Jason "Garrick Evans" wrote in message news:41b646d9_1@newsprd01... > How big are your files? What version of IE are you using? IE6 will > automatically cache the file, so it's actually making a slow copy when you > view it. > > > > "Jason Stevens" wrote in message > news:41b5fd3a_2@newsprd01... >> I have updated our detail bank on our Intranet to the dwf6 format. now > when >> I open up the web page it takes minutues to load the dwf files when it > used >> to take maybe 10 seconds. If I just open the dwf file it opens very fast >> but when it is on the web page it is slow. I am using the latest dwf > viewer >> and I used Acroplot to convert all the drawings to dwf. >> >> Thanks, >> Jason Stevens >> RGS Associates >> >> > >
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

Ahh, the piece of information that I needed. Yes, download and file open times will slow down when you have multiple DWF's on the same page. And yes, it's slower than WHIP! use to be. -- John Schmier Autodesk DWF QA
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

I forgot to check back on this. Is there a reason it is slower or any plans to improve it? I think I am going to have to create jpg's of all the details and put them on the page instead of the dwf's. Jason "John Schmier - Autodesk" wrote in message news:41b767b9$1_1@newsprd01... > Ahh, the piece of information that I needed. Yes, download and file open > times will slow down when you have multiple DWF's on the same page. And > yes, it's slower than WHIP! use to be. > > > -- > > John Schmier > Autodesk DWF QA > >
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

The WHIP! viewer used only 8-bit color. ADV draws using 32-bit color. Ben "Jason Stevens" wrote in message news:41c823d4_2@newsprd01... > I forgot to check back on this. Is there a reason it is slower or any plans > to improve it? I think I am going to have to create jpg's of all the > details and put them on the page instead of the dwf's. > > Jason > > "John Schmier - Autodesk" wrote in message > news:41b767b9$1_1@newsprd01... > > Ahh, the piece of information that I needed. Yes, download and file open > > times will slow down when you have multiple DWF's on the same page. And > > yes, it's slower than WHIP! use to be. > > > > > > -- > > > > John Schmier > > Autodesk DWF QA > > > > > >
Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

Is there anyway to change that? The details are on a white background with all black lines, 2 colors. I usually like when they improve their software but it always seems to fix one thing and break something that was working. Jason "Ben Cochran" wrote in message news:41c9bb73$1_1@newsprd01... > The WHIP! viewer used only 8-bit color. ADV draws using 32-bit color. > > Ben > > "Jason Stevens" wrote in message > news:41c823d4_2@newsprd01... >> I forgot to check back on this. Is there a reason it is slower or any > plans >> to improve it? I think I am going to have to create jpg's of all the >> details and put them on the page instead of the dwf's. >> >> Jason >> >> "John Schmier - Autodesk" wrote in message >> news:41b767b9$1_1@newsprd01... >> > Ahh, the piece of information that I needed. Yes, download and file > open >> > times will slow down when you have multiple DWF's on the same page. >> > And >> > yes, it's slower than WHIP! use to be. >> > >> > >> > -- >> > >> > John Schmier >> > Autodesk DWF QA >> > >> > >> >> > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report