AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Section Mark Tails scalling

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
cdcaron
1108 Views, 5 Replies

Section Mark Tails scalling

Using ACA 2009 sp1, heavily customized.

Please read my AUGI post in regards to this issue:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=85444

I've isolated the scaling to the "drawing scale", That is to say the drawing scale controls the tail and Annotation scale controls everything else. Which in itself is odd but not hard to work around. For some reason the only way I can change the drawing scale (aecdwgsetup) is in Modelspace. Not Floating MS, not Expanded Vport space and not Paper space. Given the way our setup is we use expanded vports almost exclusively. That means switching to MS and back just to draw in a different scale. Any one sheet could have 8 different scales. Using the switch back method is unreasonable.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
cdcaron
in reply to: cdcaron

The lack of response in disturbing.
Message 3 of 6
David_W_Koch
in reply to: cdcaron

Allow me to add to your disturbance. In experience with 2009, the Scale tab of the Drawing Setup dialog can no longer be used to set the Drawing Scale. The scale list there is only used to associate a particular Display Configuration with a particular scale. You do have to go here to set the annotation plot size.

To set the drawing scale, you need to use the scale popup list on the Drawing Window Status Bar (unless you have turned that off, in which case it would be on the Application Status Bar). That assumes that you did not turn the scale control off.

--

David Koch
Using ADT 2004 at work; access to 2005-2009 at home

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Has there been any update to this problem? This problem still exists in ACA 2011. If section marks are placed in model space through a paper space viewport, are you saying the annotation scale in model space has to be changed manually (from the model tab) each time you use a different viewport annotation scale? This seems to be the only work around. The other work around is to place all section marks in model space. I should not have to do this however.

I've logged a case with Autodesk Support and waiting on their response.

Message 5 of 6
David_W_Koch
in reply to: Anonymous

Okay, two years ago I focused on the fact that the original poster was trying to set the drawing scale in the Drawing Setup Dialog, and thought that might be the problem, as that will no longer reset the drawing scale.  I just tried placing a few section marks from a layout tab, in model space, through viewports of different scales, and I am also seeing what you both saw - the scale of the "tail" block is driven by the drawing scale set when the "model tab" is active, not by the scale of the viewport (which drives the scale of the block that holds the section number and, if part of the chosen type, sheet number).  That is definitely a defect in the way the program works.  I am surprised there have not been more complaints about this.

Let us know how things work out with your support request.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 6 of 6
David_W_Koch
in reply to: David_W_Koch

One other point to note:  the anonymous block created for the tail is an annotative block, and the annotative scale applied on creation is that of the Viewport.  The problem is that the block definition is improperly sized, which leads to the following workaround as an alternative to switching to TILEMODE 1 ("Model"), setting the scale to match your Viewport and then returning the the Layout to place the Section Mark:

Place the Section Mark thorugh the Viewport and let ACA do its thing with creating the tail block.  In cases where the size is wrong (Viewport scale is not the same as Model scale), select the tail and set the X-scale factor (it is a uniformlly-scaled block, so this will affect the Y- and Z-scale factors, also) to be the value of the Viewport scale factor divided by the Model scale factor.  This will counteract the improper block definition and get the tail to be the correct size (even if you later change the scale of the Viewport (provided you add the new Viewport scale as an annotative scale to the tail block).

For example, if the Viewport scale is 1"= 1'-0" (1:12) and the Model scale is 1/8" = 1'-0" (1:96), select the tail block and, on the Properties Palette, enter 12/96 as the X-scale factor and all will be right with the universe (for a micro-instant, anyway).

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost