AutoCAD Architecture Customization
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Customization Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture Customization topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom door tag text that displays size of door (Residential)?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
2189 Views, 7 Replies

Custom door tag text that displays size of door (Residential)?

I'm looking for a way to customize a door tag to display the size of the door in a special way. I know how to create a tag that displays door sizes in a standard format, i.e. "3'-0" x 6'-8". I would like to display the text in the tag as something more standard for residential: "3068", (no quotes). Is there any thing like that available? Any idea how to make?
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
David_W_Koch
in reply to: Anonymous

This blog article has links to previously posted content that does what you want. Your choice of three different offereings!
http://architects-desktop.blogspot.com/2006/01/residential-door-tags.html

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Ok, I found the files, but now what? I managed to get one of the solutions to work in new drawings only. I believe the one you posted??? I would love to get the tool from the first link working as it works on all openings not just doors. Any ideas? I'm using Acad Arch 2010, maybe that makes a difference. Edited by: watsonrb0@hotmail.com on Mar 24, 2010 5:40 PM
Message 4 of 8
David_W_Koch

It has been quite a while since I looked at any of those files; I do not do residential work and so do not use that style of tag. If I were to guess, I would say that the problem you may be having is that those tags were created before the advent of the Tag tool (I believe they were created before the advent of tool palettes, for that matter), and so would have to have the AEC Content file placed somewhere under the AEC Content root directory, and then also rely on having a source file for the Property Set Definition that was specified in the AEC Content Wizard's command string located in the same folder or one folder up.

I suppose someday someone should update those files and put them in a source file that would work with modern-day tag tools.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Thanks for the help David! I did get one to work. I just wish I knew more about how this stuff worked. The Autocad help on this is a little lacking. Maybe I can find something on Autodesk University. Thanks again.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Got it to work! Created separate tags for Doors and Windows. One problem that I haven't worked out is if you have a drawing that has the DOOROBJECTS or WINDOWOBJECTS property set definition already existing, the custom formula will not insert automatically. But you can do it manually.
To create a tool, all you have to do is save the drawing under an autocad support search path, and then open the drawing and copy each tag to the tool palette of your choice.
Seems to work, so far...

Robert Watson
Message 7 of 8
David_W_Koch

In addition to anything you may find on the AU website, you may find the resources listed in this blog article
http://architects-desktop.blogspot.com/2006/08/adt-schedule-feature-resources.html
of some use. In particular, the course materials from the two AUGI Training Program courses I taught some time back should give you a good grounding in the basics of the Schedule Feature. You do have to be a member of AUGI to access those, but membership is free. Those materials were prepared prior to the ribbon (and prior to the last update of the schedule feature in 2007, when a handful of additional automatic properties were added), but the basics of the schedule feature have not changed substantially since then.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 8 of 8

How do I make the formula result say "0" instead of "0.000"?

UPDATE: Nevermind, I figured it out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report