AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware Profiles

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Libbya
281 Views, 4 Replies

Hardware Profiles

At work I use an HP xw9000 workstation with a dual-core AMD opteron 2.00 GHz, and 4 GB of ram (recognizes 3.5 GB) using XP and NVIDIA Quadro FX 1500 graphics card. 3GB switch is enabled.

At home I use an HP Pavilion Media Center (forget the number off hand) that is equipped with an AMD dual-core Athlon 2.20 GHz processor and 2 GB of ram using XP and an ATI All-In-Wonder graphics card.

My machine at work, despite being a "better machine" is much slower and crashes significantly more frequently. At home, when running ACA and watching the tsk manager, the CPU usage will often run 100%, accomplishing tasks quicker and more consistently than at work where the processor basically stops at 50%, takes longer and often crashes. It seems unable to do any rendering without crashing. Watching the task manager it looks like it maxes out the memory and a fatal error results. My home machine with 1/2 the memory renders the same files just fine without error. Any suggestions for configuring the work machine to actually work?

Andrew
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Libbya

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 23:01:21 +0000, libbybapa <> wrote:

>At work I use an HP xw9000 workstation with a dual-core AMD opteron 2.00 GHz, and 4 GB of ram (recognizes 3.5 GB) using XP and NVIDIA Quadro FX 1500 graphics card. 3GB switch is enabled.
>
>At home I use an HP Pavilion Media Center (forget the number off hand) that is equipped with an AMD dual-core Athlon 2.20 GHz processor and 2 GB of ram using XP and an ATI All-In-Wonder graphics card.
>
>My machine at work, despite being a "better machine" is much slower and crashes significantly more frequently. At home, when running ACA and watching the tsk manager, the CPU usage will often run 100%, accomplishing tasks quicker and more consistently than at work where the processor basically stops at 50%, takes longer and often crashes. It seems unable to do any rendering without crashing. Watching the task manager it looks like it maxes out the memory and a fatal error results. My home machine with 1/2 the memory renders the same files just fine without error. Any suggestions for configuring the work machine to actually work?

"Lesser" home machines are often peppier because they do not have the network
overhead. Untweaked, XP can be a real network hog. Have you tried working
locally at work (copying files to the machine) to see if that is an issue?

Also, are you comparing the same exact files?

Matt
mstachoni@verizon.net
mstachoni@bhhtait.com
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Your 3GB Switch may also be causing issues with the other software on your
office PC.

Your video card driver, other running background apps, plus as noted above,
network content set by your IT may be contributing to it all, along with
network devices, drivers and more.

You are comparing apples to oranges, and also proving that spending a ton of
money of PCs without much thought to setup is still something PC makers
still need to work on.

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
Add-on products for LT
http://www.pendean.com/lt
--
Message 4 of 5
Libbya

Yes, comparing the same files. There are situations where regenerating a 2D Elev on the office machine will take 15+ minutes where the home machine will do the same ELEV in 2 minutes. Watching the task manager, the office machine will sit at 50% usage. The Home machine will dance around between 50% and 100%, spending a lot of time at 80%+. Rendering almost always just results in fatal errors at work. At home the same view will render fine.

Andrew
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 15:50:12 +0000, libbybapa <> wrote:

>Yes, comparing the same files. There are situations where regenerating a 2D Elev on the office machine will take 15+ minutes where the home machine will do the same ELEV in 2 minutes. Watching the task manager, the office machine will sit at 50% usage. The Home machine will dance around between 50% and 100%, spending a lot of time at 80%+. Rendering almost always just results in fatal errors at work. At home the same view will render fine.

I would first get rid of the /3GB switch on the work machine. When you use this
you effectively cut down the amount of RAM available to drivers and other OS
dependencies which may cause stability issues.

After that, there are tons of variables at play here which make a direct
comparison difficult (and impossible from a 3rd party's perspective). What
software is running concurrently on both systems? Do you have anti-virus and/or
other resident programs running at work?

Matt
mstachoni@verizon.net
mstachoni@bhhtait.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report