Did you mean: 

Layer Folders?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
5055 Views, 3 Replies

Layer Folders?

Hello everyone,

I would like to organize my layers a little so it is a little easier to understand when others are using/viewing my autocad drawing. 

I work with Photoshop a lot and in Photoshop I can make layer groups/folders. All it is is a folder that I can drag and drop layers into and then I can expand or collapse the folder. I am looking for this functionalitiy in AutoCAD. I played with the filters a little, but I don't want to make a filter to group my layers by, I would prefer to do a drag and drop method at my own discretion and not by some filter that I set. 

I will be honest that I havent done a lot of research on the filter system, but I did some quick google searches and messed with it for a little while. It didn't seem to give me the results I was looking for, but if that is the only way of grouping layers I guess I will have to do some more research on how to properly use that feature.

Thanks,

Nicholas 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
massimo.corradi
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello Nicholas, right click on the top folder ("All") and select Group Filter. That's the one you want, in this groups filters you just drag the layers you want to have grouped.

Message 3 of 4
scot-65

Our method of organizing layers into groups is to assign a 2-character prefix to the layer name. From there we script/macro freeze/thaw group or groups as needed to display on the page. AFAIK this was developed for us when Release 12 was the latest (not to be confused with R2012).
To go a little further, and to provide a simplified example, each group contains a base layer, a text layer, a dimension layer, and a hatch layer. Extended layers in the group can be added on demand provided the first two characters of the layer name is maintained. Since we use CTB pen tables, we would color the object rather than move the object to a layer that has the target color "Bylayer". The same applies to line types.
When opening CLASSICLAYER, the layer groups are alphabetically listed together as opposed to being scattered everywhere in the layer list.
Let's see if you can identify a few groups by only showing their prefix:
FR, BK, LF, RT, SC, RF, FN, F1, F2...

Scot-65
A gift of extraordinary Common Sense does not require an Acronym Suffix to be added to my given name.

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Thanks for the information. 

I am currently using the group filter method that massimo.corradi suggested. 

New Question: How do I move an already existing group filter underneath another group filter to create a sub folder. 

For example: I have a group filter called Columns with layers inside it. I created a new filter called Structural and I want to move the already existing Columns folder underneath. This would make the Columns folder act like a sub-folder.  How do I do this? I cannot just drag and drop and I don't see anything under a drop down menu. 

I know how to make sub-folder type filters when I create a new one, but I want to make an existing filter become a sub-filter.

Thanks,

Nicholas

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report