Did you mean: 

AutoCAD MAP 3D slows down the start up

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
947 Views, 12 Replies

AutoCAD MAP 3D slows down the start up

Hi

scince I installed AutoCAD Map 3D 2014 my Laptop is starting very slow. I have a Thinkpad W530 with a 500GB SSD, so the start up should be really fast. But scince i have AutoCAD the laptop needs about 10 to 15 minutes bevore i can open any programm. (as the lenovo update center says i have the latest drivers)

My girlfriend who has a Dell Inspiron laptop (with a normal HDD) has the same problem scince she installed autoCAD. 

If someone has any idea how to solve this problem i would be very glad.

Tags (2)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
jggerth
in reply to: Anonymous

At a guess, you've allowed 360 to start at WindowsStartup.  Either uninstall 360 if you don't have a real need for it, or configure it to not start with Windows.

Second, look at Content Service.  Either uninstall it (preferred option since it's not very useful) or usse the Service tool under computer management to set it to Manula start rathe than Automatic.

Let us know how those changes affect the startup time.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous

Thank you for your fast answer but your suggestions did not help. (Neither disable nor uninstallation.)
Its still a 15 Minute start up period scince the installation of AutoCAD
Message 4 of 13
nestly2

In the Windows Start menu, type MSCONFIG then go the Startup Tab and uncheck anything related to Autodesk, save and reboot.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

I have already done this bevore i opened the thread. So this did not work as well.

Message 6 of 13
neilyj666

interesting about the suggestion that 360 is causing the problem, occasionally civil 3d seems to hang on the splash screen and using task manager to stop all Autodesk processes is the only way to allow it to start.

Is 360 fit for purpose?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2025 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: neilyj666

OK... now i unistalled all autodesk programs i had and the laptop is still not starting correctly. I installed autocad about 10 hours ago and this problem has never occured... i don't really know what to do if not even the uninstallation of the program could fix the start up problem.

Message 8 of 13
nestly2

@Anonymous wrote:

OK... now i unistalled all autodesk programs i had and the laptop is still not starting correctly. I installed autocad about 10 hours ago and this problem has never occured... i don't really know what to do if not even the uninstallation of the program could fix the start up problem.

Try using Windows Restore and pick the most recent restore point before AutoCAD was installed >10 hours ago.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: nestly2

after the restoration the problem is fixed....but just not to use autocad is no solution for my work

but nevertheless thanks a lot

Message 10 of 13
nestly2

It may have just been a bad install.  Since you know you can use Windows Restore, I'd use the Autodesk uninstall utility to make sure everything is cleaned up, then re-install AutoCAD.  Other than that, about all you can do is submit a support request to Autodesk.

Message 11 of 13
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> But scince i have AutoCAD the laptop needs about 10 to 15 minutes bevore i can open any programm

When you start the taskmanager, go to tab "Processes", add the column for "CPU time" (need to be added manually) you can see what process has used the 15 minutes. Don't forget also to turn on the option "show processes from all users"

That is the point to start then.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

thats a good idea! I'll reinstall autocad and try that thing with the cpu time. I've also heared that kaspersky might make some trouble in combination with autocad. But we'll see^^

Message 13 of 13
jggerth
in reply to: neilyj666

@neilyj666 wrote:
interesting about the suggestion that 360 is causing the problem, occasionally civil 3d seems to hang on the splash screen and using task manager to stop all Autodesk processes is the only way to allow it to start.

Is 360 fit for purpose?

I suppose it depends on hat your purpose is.  IMHO 360 is a rather messy 'brand', with a lot of confusion about what it is, or even how many 'its' there really are.  Of course, the same can be said about the 'cloud' buzzword...  360 as currently implemented on the desktop and in AutoCAD is not IMO ready for prime time.  the configuration and end-user control of the background processes is not well thought out.

Synching setting to the cloude strikes me as a horrid waste of my cpy cycles and limited internet bandwidth.  Once a user has set up his preferred settings, being able to take a snaposhot of that makes some sense -- but it would work FAR better if I could synch to a thumbdrive or local network share.  Parking that information somewhere in the vagueness of the cloud is nonsensical and of no real benefit.

For collaboration and sharing project work -- 360 is less useful than the competition.  Frankly speaking it's less effective than a 1990 era FTP site.  Dropbox offers far more convenience, and SpiderOak offers security that is an order of magnitude greater. 

Using a remote cloud service for rendering stills or animations is a very poor choice -- either local GPU processing, or LAN based grid computing would both work better, faster, more reliably, and more secure.

Some things do make sense to push to the cloud -- CFD for example, but they are all niche services, attractive primarily to people who only rarely perform those jobs, and can't justify the ROI of having that capability in-house. 

That also means they are the people who have little real experience doing those jobs, so the results may look good, but are not backed by professional engineering judgement or validated by experience.  There are substantial risks to the professional in using cloud computation.  Liability beomes rather open-ended for him, with vendors taking no responsibility. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report