AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

JohnAlderson3838
Message 31 of 41 (521 Views)

Re: Screen Menu in 2012, screenboxes

02-02-2012 11:08 PM in reply to: jclong

Samsung monitor here, i7/ 24gb ram/ 2TB raid 10/ 120gb SSD/ Wacom Intuos 3 19x12

The wacom setup easily for acad2012.

My systems now 2 years old. The 2009/ 2010/2011 wacom drivers were pretty hairy for Win7 X64. The just released drivers actually seem bug free so far.

Active Contributor
Message 32 of 41 (483 Views)

03-14-2012 01:37 PM in reply to: JohnAlderson3838

" ....I'm on a 30" screen at 2560x1600, and the 35 rows would be lucky to be half the available height.  In the good 'ol days, of R8/9/10....."

John, I'm using the same size and resolution monitors and have now started working with ACAD 2012.  However, using the redefine ...  screenmenu routine as above, my screenmenu is only 26 rows and I see the screenboxes readonly confirms that number.. 

Have you or anyone else found a way around that?  And are you using your screen menu now?

I'm finding that a normal modeling session now is taking up to 3x longer without my custom menus.  I didn't realize just how much faster they were until now.

And has anyone substituted a pallet for the screen menu?  I'm starting the search to see if there is a way to use my old macros and switches in a different format..  But it all takes time and as long as there is still work to get paid for, it's difficult finding the time to dig in to the menu issues..

Active Contributor
Message 33 of 41 (476 Views)

03-14-2012 01:56 PM in reply to: jclong

I use the screen menu every day all day along with the pull-down menus, the cursor menu, and occasionally the toolpalette. I do not use the ribbon at all. I've been customizing the menu since 1987 and release 9. I will miss the screen menu and I'm not sure how to replace it yet. I may investigate OpenDCL and modeless dialog boxes. AutoCAD toolpalettes offer some functionality but the ribbon just takes too much screen space away. I use very few toolbars.

Valued Mentor
Message 34 of 41 (475 Views)

03-14-2012 01:57 PM in reply to: jclong

After trying several locations I found that putting the ribbon on the right side where the old screen menu was located actually worked great for me, mainly because I keep layer palette, tool palette and properties palette all open at the left edge of the right monitor and the layer palette flys out as needed. (Make sure you get the PaletteAutoHideSpeed.exe and slow down the open time with a configuration like this or the layer palette will fly open covering the other two every time you mouse over.)

It did take some time but I got the Ribbon pretty customized so I only have to use a couple of tabs and I don't have to switch that much. You can put anything you are running now on the ribbon but like you say it takes time. The slowest part is getting the panels configured which would be SO much faster with a drag-and-drop functionality in the CUI editor (Autodesk?).

Contributor
Message 35 of 41 (441 Views)

Re: Screen Menu in 2012

04-07-2012 06:43 AM in reply to: LouderCAD

It is an absolute pity that Autodesk is discontinuing one of their most used interfaces in AutoCAD. It was persistent and dynamic - best for data selection from lists. Panels do not serve these. Popo-up menus come-and-go.

Hope Autodesk decides not to discontinue it and provide a way to continue it. There are thousands of applications designed with screen menus. There is a resistance to migrate because of the set-back people expect in their businesses by upgrading.

I sincerely hope Autodesk offers some patch or switch to allow modifying CUIs with screen menus till they provide equivalent tool.

JohnAlderson3838
Message 36 of 41 (431 Views)

04-08-2012 03:22 AM in reply to: sanpo

I decided to discontinue my subscription, as Autodesk is now actively making it harder to use Autocad.

Contributor
Message 37 of 41 (423 Views)

04-08-2012 08:40 AM in reply to: LouderCAD

Don't you think it is a clumsy solution? Once 2011 is upgraded to 2012 how often can we toggle?

Message 38 of 41 (335 Views)

07-12-2012 08:19 PM in reply to: LouderCAD

My AutoCAD instructor hated AutoCAD with a passion.  He always said: "....dumb old, stupid old AutoCAD...." LOL.  Maybe doing stuff like this was why.

Mentor
Message 39 of 41 (331 Views)

07-13-2012 05:26 AM in reply to: Steve_Johnson

Hello donande,

Just wanted to let you know that you can customize the ribbon and export it.

I use an enterprise.cuix to store all our customization.

I've created ribbon tabs and panels for our different types of drawings.

Some of our custom panels are used on multiple tabs.

Note that the first panel on every custom tab is "basics".

My users love the custom tabs. 

I've attached a picture of what I'm talking about.

Hope you give them a try.

Good luck,

Steve

Contributor
Message 40 of 41 (316 Views)

07-13-2012 10:53 PM in reply to: LouderCAD

It is very easy to call screen-menus old-fashioned or out-dated and sound like one having the a best taste and being sophisticated. It is only ignorance of how powerful and simple the screen-menu interface is. No one undermines icons and even ribbons (provided Autodesk weeds out problems). These are definitely elegant and convenient methods of grouping and picking the commands. 

Screen-menus still have a reason to stay as they offer facility to offer static lists of selection (say one has to select one of the design standards from a list of 30 to 50 standards). In spite of being static, one can write code to dynamically alter these static lists every time the application starts, there by giving ease of having the updatable lists every time. In such applications (which are not few in engineering), it is not necessary and rather counterproductive to have icons and graphics associated with these entries. 

Panels are somewhat near but advantage of Screen-menus is that they work for all versions of AutoCAD while panel’s one version is not compatible with the other. Development and testing time for engineering applications is long. AutoCAD comes with a new version every year. With this scenario, the panel option is not worth considering as an alternative to Screen-menus.

In my personal opinion, Autodesk should continue with Screen-menus and re-introduce it in the legacy section.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube