Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making an object visible behind another in rendering?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
derek.mallard
391 Views, 6 Replies

Making an object visible behind another in rendering?

Don't know if this has been asked before. Basically I want to know if I can make an object visible through the object that it's behind in a render.

I use Arnold for my renders by the way. 

Labels (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
RobH2
in reply to: derek.mallard

What exactly are you trying to do, I mean, besides render an occluded object? It might help figure out what the best way to do it is.

Have you Googled "3ds Max render occluded object?"  I saw a bunch of links using that search. One of them might be useful for you. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 7
derek.mallard
in reply to: RobH2

Yeah, I already looked that up and I may not have known if I was already looking at the solution.

So basically I have some anime character models. I want to have their eyebrows render as if they were in front of their hair. (The front of their hair covers their eyebrows) I know I can just move their eyebrows to the front but, let's be honest, it would look stupid even at certain angles.

Message 4 of 7
RobH2
in reply to: derek.mallard

Ok, now it makes sense what you are doing. I'll see if I can figure something out and hopefully someone who already knows will find this post and let you know. But, I'll play with it and see what I can come up with. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
Message 5 of 7
derek.mallard
in reply to: RobH2

Thanks! And believe me, I've played around with it enough.

Message 6 of 7

Do you have an example? I am finding hard to understand what would happen to the object in front, if you want to see the one in the back.

Lead Enviroment Artist @Axis Studios

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 7 of 7

Nothing will happen to the object in front, I was wondering if it be possible for the object behind to be rendered visible through the object in front. Kinda like an overlay or like it's overlapping.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report