Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C4R Best Practice for Linked Models

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
sspann
1022 Views, 5 Replies

C4R Best Practice for Linked Models

I have a Revit project where a team of two is collaborating with C4R. The remainder of the project's teams are not, nor are they posting to A360 but another cloud server.  We have weekly uploads for all models.  Now that my team of two A360 collaborators has C4R up and running we have migrated our collaboration models and all linked models to the A360 cloud and have been working via C4R. 

What is the best way to update the linked models from the weekly upload?  It appears remigrating them weekly could be an issue since files would be named the same.  It would also be tedious to migrate each model each week.  

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
sspann
in reply to: sspann

I suspect my answer is found here, in this forum string: http://www.revitforum.org/worksharing-revit-server-c4r/28351-c4r-updating-links-2.html

I was hoping for a better solution than a weekly linked model migration followed by relinking.

Message 3 of 6
allan.partridge

Any progress on this?

I am in need of Federated File (linked files) Best Practices to deal with a security issue.  Here is some background.

• Working with C4R sucessfully in Unified File environment for over a year, few projects are Federated File projects, so not a newbie to this new paradigm
  • I need to allow access to a base building for a Tenant Improvement (TI) fit out, but want to limit the external TI team to prevent downloading the entire building and all its proprietry info.  
  • Working with C4R make sense as there is value to the TI team to understand the volumetric limiations of the base building and avoid additional risk associated with archaic processes of CAD and overlay. 
  • TI team wants to be able save their own work - no problem with that but I can't breach the security issue, nor do I want to have the model freely available unless I can control such asscess, as occured with the rest of the AEC team that worked on the base building. 

Does anyone have any best practices to deal with this? 

Message 4 of 6
sspann
in reply to: allan.partridge

I have not found a solution to my issue, and am unaware of any methods to handle the security issue.  

Message 5 of 6
KyleB_Autodesk

@sspann wrote:

I have a Revit project where a team of two is collaborating with C4R. The remainder of the project's teams are not, nor are they posting to A360 but another cloud server.  We have weekly uploads for all models.  Now that my team of two A360 collaborators has C4R up and running we have migrated our collaboration models and all linked models to the A360 cloud and have been working via C4R. 

What is the best way to update the linked models from the weekly upload?  It appears remigrating them weekly could be an issue since files would be named the same.  It would also be tedious to migrate each model each week.  

The simplest way is probably to just locally link to the Consultant models, as discussed over on that other thread.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 6

@Anonymous wrote:

Any progress on this?

I am in need of Federated File (linked files) Best Practices to deal with a security issue.  Here is some background.

• Working with C4R sucessfully in Unified File environment for over a year, few projects are Federated File projects, so not a newbie to this new paradigm
  • I need to allow access to a base building for a Tenant Improvement (TI) fit out, but want to limit the external TI team to prevent downloading the entire building and all its proprietry info.  
  • Working with C4R make sense as there is value to the TI team to understand the volumetric limiations of the base building and avoid additional risk associated with archaic processes of CAD and overlay. 
  • TI team wants to be able save their own work - no problem with that but I can't breach the security issue, nor do I want to have the model freely available unless I can control such asscess, as occured with the rest of the AEC team that worked on the base building. 

Does anyone have any best practices to deal with this? 

Allan,

Reflecting back at you, are you looking to allow linking of certain models on a project, but no ability to open them directly or download them?

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report