Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

While sketching, is the "Copy" element of the Move/Copy borked, or depricated?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Inspections_JCH
1357 Views, 10 Replies

While sketching, is the "Copy" element of the Move/Copy borked, or depricated?

The right click menu says Move/Copy but there is no option to copy.

Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
etfrench
in reply to: Inspections_JCH

It only works on the 5th Sunday of every month Smiley Happy

There have been many threads on the subject.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
TrippyLighting
in reply to: etfrench

@etfrench wrote:

It only works on the 5th Sunday of every month Smiley Happy

There have been many threads on the subject.

And only if it's full moon on that Sunday 😉

Peter
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 11

They are right, you should do a search, but I was in the same position you were in just a few years ago so I will help you out.

If you turn off 'Capture Design History' in the lower right-hand corner of the screen you can copy and paste entire sketches..

..otherwise, with only the sketch you want to copy visible, you need to click-drag over to select the objects you want copied and then right-click and select copy. Then, hide the old sketch, activate the proper component, select the proper plane, start a new sketch, and paste. You should see all the objects populate your new sketch. 

I haven't had to do that process for a while so someone please correct me if I am inaccurate.

There are some (special) features that are only available when design history is off, but then you don't have a design history..

-Stephen

Message 5 of 11

Thank you @atherisinnovations, I do searches for every issue that I encounter. At times the answers here in the forum are veiled in humor, sarcasm, or a jab at Autodesk.

And some of the matching threads are old. When they are even a few months old, there is every possibility that the answer has changed due to an update. And updates are hidden in version notes. And there is a distinct difference between being broken and they is hope of a fix. Or a feature that is deprecated may have no hope of returning. Maybe it returned in a different place under a different name.

Also, the nature of forums is that the answer may be hidden in questions or complaints and they are not true answered when people agree with the complaint.

Thanks again. Your answer is helpful.

Message 6 of 11

OK, all you sarcastic doubters...  I was just in a sprint review where I saw that the "Create Copy" option enabled when doing Move/Copy and the Move Object type is set to "Sketch Objects".  It should be available in an update soon.

Note that this is not "copy of an entire sketch", that limitation still exists

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 7 of 11
chrisplyler
in reply to: jeff_strater

@jeff_strater

Yay! Before you left the meeting, did you mention the lacking joint types we want?

And also... Sprint meeting? Was it a nice conference room with leather high-back chairs and stuff? Or did you all meet outside on a track?

Message 8 of 11
jeff_strater
in reply to: chrisplyler

Well...  This particular meeting was with the sketch team, so no discussion of joints.  That one does come up though, in the modeling team.  Just for my information, can you point me to the list of joints that are believed to be critical?

Re: "sprint".  This is a software term, all tied up with "Agile programming", a trendy process methodology, which uses some very strange terms for otherwise ordinary concepts.  But, I'll stop my rant there...

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 9 of 11

@jeff_strater wrote:

...  Just for my information, can you point me to the list of joints that are believed to be critical? ...

The missing ones 😉

1. Cam follower (no reasonable workaround available) .

2. Following a path (no workaround available!)

3. Cylinder in V-groove ot countersunk screw in countersunk hole.( can be worked around )

4. Chains, Toothed belts on sprockets. Entered into the idea station by one of Fusion 360 finest in 2015
400 votes! (no workarounds available)

5... don't remember at the moment 😉

I had identified 5 of those b

Peter
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 11

Need a tangent joint, not sure if @TrippyLighting covered that with the cam follower, also one for conical surfaces like a counter sink and counter sink head screw. Tangent might work for that.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 11 of 11

@HughesTooling wrote:

Need a tangent joint, not sure if @TrippyLighting covered that with the cam follower, also one for conical surfaces like a counter sink and counter sink head screw. Tangent might work for that.

Mark

I tried to avoid the term tangent as that usually is associated with with "normal' geometric mates. I tried to cover that in 3.

Peter

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums