Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Fusion 360 for 3D Laser engraving

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
PhilProcarioJr
11704 Views, 12 Replies

Using Fusion 360 for 3D Laser engraving

Ok so I was tired of the old vector cutting thing on my laser engraver so I decide to figure out a work flow for 3d laser engraving. Here is my first test at it.

Oak is really not the best choice but the first test was promising.

VZM.IMG_20160528_190720.jpg

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

What kind of laser engraver are you using (CO2 or Diode) and how much power is required for such things as shown in your photo ?

Very nice results!

Peter Doering
Message 3 of 13

@TrippyLighting

45W CO2 laser is what I am using but a 40W would work just fine. I'm going to do a different type of wood today. See how that goes.

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 4 of 13

Phil,

How were you able to get Fusion 360 to keep your laser on for more than just the cut lines?

Thanks,

Rob

Message 5 of 13

@robert.meyersohn

I don't run the laser from Fusion. I use the software that came with my laser engraver.

Plus for 3d laser engraving you have to use pulse mode instead of continuous.

Fusion was only used to create the models, then I exported the models and used Zbrush to create a depth map. The depth map is basically an image that goes from white to black, with white being the highest point and black being the deepest.

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 6 of 13
jeevesme
in reply to: PhilProcarioJr

Fancy Pants.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Forever yours,
Love,
Brian

PS. If this answered your question, please mark as answered so others do not read through the posts trying to figure out if it was answered.
Message 7 of 13
PhilProcarioJr
in reply to: jeevesme

@jeevesme

These actually look terrible compared to some of my new work flows I am developing. Smiley Happy

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 8 of 13

Do you export as a DXF, or do you use CAM in fusion to generate gcode?
Message 9 of 13

@robert.meyersohn

"Do you export as a DXF, or do you use CAM in fusion to generate gcode?"

dxf is only good for vector cutting on my laser engraver, so if I want to do vector cutting I use the .dxf CAM post processor to export a dxf.

I open the dxf in inkscape and use the print driver to send it to my RetinaEngrave 2.0 Software.

I can also use the print driver in my pdf reader to send it to my RetinaEngrave 2.0 Software.

Which one I use just depends on the project, if I am cutting out pieces I create a 2d Drawing and save out a .pdf.

If I want to add some art or text, I use the .dxf CAM post processor to export a .dxf and open that in inkscape.

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 10 of 13

Great information. Thanks!
Message 11 of 13

Greetings,

So i am relatively new to fusion 360 and laser cutting. While i am trying to figure out the basics, there is a constant question that keeps coming up and that's that of laser engraving. I am trying to engrave some pictures that i have found on the internet and some text (measurements, like a ruler). Are there any guidelines or forums you could direct me to? 

Thanks in advance

Message 12 of 13

@aleksandrakisnikolaos  I didn't realize you posted this question. For me you will need to tag me in the post or I probably wouldn't catch it.

Laser engraving is a tricky subject because it depends on what software you are using to drive your laser engraver.

From my experience they are all very different unless you are just vector cutting.

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 13 of 13
ghrrum
in reply to: PhilProcarioJr

@PhilProcarioJr I know this is an old one, but any chance of sharing how your got this to work for you?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums