Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making a component lock in place

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Ecdysiast
11027 Views, 2 Replies

Making a component lock in place

Hi

I'm trying to make a simple mechanical locking mechanism for a project, and I want to simulate this in fusion.

Here are the components, C1 and C2Here are the components, C1 and C2

I want to lock C1 into C2. (C2 is a cross-section of a larger piece, but I sliced it to see the locking mechanism).

I activated contact sets so that all components collided, so I could test if my model worked, although, I want to anchor C2 in place.Rotation.PNG

This is a rather crude diagram of what happens from a top-down view. The blue arrows indicate the motion of C1, and the red lines show the limits of the joint, so that it cannot rotate more than it should. The blacked out area is where C1 aligns to be removed from C2. 

To test the limits of the joint, I went to rotate C1 in the wrong way, expecting C2 to stay in place, although what actually happened is C1 pushed C2 along with it.

What I want to happen is for C2 to not move at all, but still have collision with C1. I tried converting C2 into a body to see if that helped, but then the components didn't collide.

Is there a way to have C1 as a component, have collision with other components, but be anchored down in place?

I apologise if my description isn't fantastic, I'll be happy to explain again if needed.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
robduarte
in reply to: Ecdysiast

A couple things:

• To "anchor" a component in an assembly, you can right-click on the Component in the browser and choose "Ground"
  • It's better to create the Revolute joint that you need between those two components and just set Joint Limits on that newly created joint, to simulate the kind of movement that you want. This is better than using Contact Sets, which are really computationally intensive and, in your case, are doing the same thing.

Rob Duarte
Associate Professor in Art, Florida State University
Co-Director FSU Facility for Arts Research
http://art.fsu.edu/rob-duarte/

Twitter | YouTube

Message 3 of 3
dennis4roth
in reply to: robduarte

i know its been awhile since you posted this but thanks so much 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums