Revit Hints and Hacks: Astonishing Arrays Revealed Final Round

Array 4.jpg

Again, I wanted to make sure to drive home that nested families are the best, IMHO, when arraying in a family, so I am hoping you will review the first paragraph of that blog if you need to know more about this.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autodesk-community-voices/revit-hints-and-hacks-astonishing-arrays-re...

This array this time is going to look at the number of the array being driven by spacing and the Width. I am also going to show you how to keep from blowing up an array when the array number would go to a single object. I will also set up an object for when the “array” would be a single object.

To do the array select the nested object and choose the Array tool. Stop at the bar, the Options bar that is. I am doing a Linear array, with a random number, for now, and opting to go to the second location.

donniataborhanson_0-1654011934753.png

Next, I will pick two points to start and stop the array. I choose to do this at an angle.

donniataborhanson_1-1654011934756.png

donniataborhanson_2-1654011934759.png

Doing this at an angle forces me to set the start and end of the array by aligning the first and the last items to the reference planes. If you do not align AND lock the first and the Second item to the reference planes you run the risk of the array running amuck. The second will go to the reference plane defining the Array Dist.

donniataborhanson_3-1654011934760.png

Once the array is aligned, I select one of the arrayed objects to have it show me the number of the array. Then I can select the number to add an Array Num parameter to the array to add flexibility of changing how many items are included at any given time. In this example the Array Num has already been defined so it is a selectable parameter.

donniataborhanson_4-1654011934762.png

Using a formula with Array Dist being the minimum distance before the array has a repeating element, the Array Num can be set to repeat. The Array Dist parameter here tells what the minimum distance will be. The Array Formula uses rounddown(Width / Array Dist) as the formula to set an Integer value. A second formula for Array Num sets a minimum of items in the array to be no less than 2.

donniataborhanson_5-1654011934773.png

By changing the Width to something that the current Array Dist of 3’ 0” cannot go into by 2 or more the array should be voided and just the first item be there. What is needed is two visibility parameters. Here is Array Single and Array Multiple and their formulas.

donniataborhanson_6-1654011934774.png

Select any one item of the array and Edit Group.

donniataborhanson_7-1654011934775.png

Set the Visibility to equal Array Multiple.

donniataborhanson_8-1654011934780.png

Now add a single of the nested family used for the array. Set that visibility to Array Single.

donniataborhanson_9-1654011934784.png

Align and lock that element to the same location as the start of the array. It is ok when you get a message about things being in the same location. With the formulas for Array Single and Array Multiple, the visibility will be controlled so that the correct amount of the array is shown.

Donnia Tabor-Hanson aka CADMama

Revit Family Counselor

Twitter @DonniaTH

donniataborhanson_10-1654012053200.png

2 Comments