Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snapshot Drawing

Snapshot Drawing

The Civil 3D bloated overhead needs to have a way to turn it off. Printing in Civil 3D is a long slow moving nightmare. Once we have our design done we need a way to make a snapshot or be able to turn off the Civil 3D making sure everything is up to date. I shouldn't have to advice people to export to ACAD and then print to PDF in order to get printing times in a reasonable amount of time. The days of 4 hours to print out a 125 page set needs to end.

This would also be useful for third party apps where all we want to do is create objects without having to wait for Civil 3D to do stuff where we don't care what the results are. 

2 Comments
doni49
Mentor

@Civil3DReminders_com wrote:

The Civil 3D bloated overhead needs to have a way to turn it off. Printing in Civil 3D is a long slow moving nightmare. Once we have our design done we need a way to make a snapshot or be able to turn off the Civil 3D making sure everything is up to date. I shouldn't have to advice people to export to ACAD and then print to PDF in order to get printing times in a reasonable amount of time. The days of 4 hours to print out a 125 page set needs to end.

This would also be useful for third party apps where all we want to do is create objects without having to wait for Civil 3D to do stuff where we don't care what the results are. 

I gave this a vote as I do see the value in having this ability but I have to ask:  what are you printing on these 125 sheets?  A couple of months ago, we had a submission with 110 sheets.  Within 25 min, they were all sent to the plotter and we were able to close acad.  Yes it did take several hours to actually plot but that's just because the plotter couldn't go any faster -- the prints were all in the print server though.

It was a levee reconstruction project in the miles of distance range. As part of the project they wanted to see the benching extents on the cross sections which ended up having a corridor that took longer to build than just a simple roadway corridor. The drawings also where not set up optimally, in that one profile view was set up in a base drawing and then xref'd into all of the plan/profile sheets. As a levee reconstruction project there was about 6 profiles. There as also a ton of labels in profile view and plan view to label station and offset values of existing infrastructure that needed to be avoided. 

I've also found this same issue on projects in Southern California. There is a ton of labels that need to be added in both plan and profile view. I've found that in other parts of the country the amount of labels required would be a fraction of the amount required for the same plan set. Less labels means less print time since Civil 3D has to update a smaller amount of objects.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Answer Day

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report