Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manually Split Profile View

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
BrianHailey
5938 Views, 16 Replies

Manually Split Profile View

Can anyone do this? I can't seem to do it in any drawing I have, even a brand new one created from the default template.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Jerry_Barnes
in reply to: BrianHailey

You can copy the profile view so you have two exact PVs. Set the station range on the first from its natural beginning to the station at the split point you need. Set the second one so the beginning station is the same as the ending station of the first. Now you should have two profile views split where you need them.

Message 3 of 17
Jeff_M

Weird, I've done this in the past, but here in the relative flatlands we don't need those very often. I just tried in 2016 and get the same results you did, except....I have the Sincpac profileview grip edit option on, as soon as I grab one of our resizing grips, the profile splits. It was then that I realized the grips don't work correctly with split PVs....will get a screencast shortly.
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 4 of 17
Jeff_M
in reply to: Jeff_M

Here's the Screencast: http://autode.sk/1UedNkr
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 17
Jay_B

Brian,

When I read this I remembered seeing something very similar a while back.

After much digging, I found This post by @jmayo for the 2015 version.

If you copy the profile view after watching the split profile command do nothing, it magically appears!

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 6 of 17
mathewkol

Brian, seven hat many times. It can be fixed by closing the file and reopening. Better though is to change the profile view height in that same page and close the dialog. The split will appear. Go back in and change the height back and you'll be able to add and edit splits all day until you reopen the file.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 7 of 17
doni49

I tried to reproduce your issue here (C3D 2016 SP2).  I don't even get the list of Split Profile Views.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 8 of 17

Hi,

you could try first change Profile View Style and then back to the right you want to.

It works on v. 2015

regards,

Chris

Message 9 of 17
doni49
in reply to: doni49

I submitted this issue to the IdeaStation so that it might get fixed.  Please give it a vote.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-ideastation/bug-report-split-profile-view-malfunction...

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 10 of 17
BrianHailey
in reply to: Jerry_Barnes

@Jerry_Barnes wrote:

You can copy the profile view so you have two exact PVs. Set the station range on the first from its natural beginning to the station at the split point you need. Set the second one so the beginning station is the same as the ending station of the first. Now you should have two profile views split where you need them.

That was the workaround that I ended up using but I shouldn't have to do that...

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 11 of 17
BrianHailey
in reply to: Jeff_M

@Jeff_M wrote:
Weird, I've done this in the past, but here in the relative flatlands we don't need those very often. I just tried in 2016 and get the same results you did, except....I have the Sincpac profileview grip edit option on, as soon as I grab one of our resizing grips, the profile splits. It was then that I realized the grips don't work correctly with split PVs....will get a screencast shortly.

Pretty cool tool. Didn't realize your tools could do that.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 12 of 17
BrianHailey
in reply to: mathewkol

@mathewkol wrote:
Brian, seven hat many times. It can be fixed by closing the file and reopening. Better though is to change the profile view height in that same page and close the dialog. The split will appear. Go back in and change the height back and you'll be able to add and edit splits all day until you reopen the file.

Thanks Matt! That did the trick! Simply changing the height, hitting ok, and then changing it back seems to have worked!

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous

When you split the profile view manually, you need to change the user specified height (any number) hit apply, and then change it back to your original number and hit apply/ok. It will adjust for you. 

Message 14 of 17
randyspear6624
in reply to: mathewkol

On a standard profile view I use a grid padding of 10mm (left and right) so nothing conflicts with the vertical axis annotation. When I split I have a style for left (padding left only), middle (no padding), and right (padding right only). However padding doesn't show up in split profiles.

Does anyone know a way around this?

Currently, I have to create a profile view for every split manually and place them accordingly. Besides the profile band borders at the splits, it looks great but using the split feature would save me so much time. 

Message 15 of 17

^ sorry padding isn't good term to use. I'm actually adding an axis offset of 10mm which doesn't appear in split profiles. Even after a view height adjustment.

Message 16 of 17
OliverE

Is there a simpler way than copying PV's and changing station range which still results in splitting the PV at a station rather than at a height. ie. my PV is too long and want to split it nicely length wise...

Cheers,

C3d 2018, Windows 10

Message 17 of 17
wfberry
in reply to: OliverE

You can copy the profile, then use the properties to set your From and To.  For instance 0+00 to 15+00 and 15+00 to 30+00.

In the past I left the entire profile to work with, then used two copies to display in my construction plans.

Bill

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report