Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get a grading to NOT radius out in a corner?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
5051 Views, 14 Replies

Can I get a grading to NOT radius out in a corner?

I'm grading this pad site from EL.215 to EL213 at a 2:1 slope. I use "grade to elevation" but I don't want the corner to fillet. I need the grading to fill in to the retaining wall (red line). I tried using infill but I can't get the fill slope display to show up.

Possible?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Anonymous

Stop it at the corner, add feature lines and add an infill.

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

depending on your output requirements you can achieve this one of two ways;

1. if you are creating surface from your sites/grading objects you are limited as to what you can do,
  2. otherwise if you explode the grading object to extact the feature lines and make surface from breaklines you have more options..

Enjoy..

Message 4 of 15
sboon

Back in LDD I think that you could choose from filleted, chamfered or mitered corners at an outside bend.  Not sure why those options were never offered in Civil 3D, but there are occasions where it would be useful.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: sboon

Steve, you are 100% right. I used LDD for 10yrs, and it was the first thing i missed when I changed to C3D 2010

Message 6 of 15
wfberry

Just run a Feature Line at the top and one at the bottom.

Bill

Message 7 of 15
Neilw_05
in reply to: wfberry

I've complained about the lack of support for mitered corners for years. It's a major deficiency when modeling parking lots with mitered curbs and sidewalks. To use the suggested solution posted here you'd have to draw feature lines for the gutter, face of curb, back of curb and sidewalk for evey corner, which is just not practical, especially if you have to change the alignments or elevations of the pavement afterwards.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 8 of 15
onsionsi1
in reply to: sboon

ya Steve i also agree with you so do you think we have to go back to LDD Smiley Wink

Please do not forget approve as solutions and Points
to Remember Please Accept as Solution and Kudos Please
Message 9 of 15
Joe-Bouza

Pardon my ignoransce, but what is the benifit  to a chamfered or miter graded corner? I cant visulaize: if the coner elevation is 100 and needs to grade to 95 at x% is it not sitl L-feet away if it is mitered or radiused? Does the earth mover cut a miter or turm the radius of the machine?

Help me out - I'd like to understand.

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 15
Neilw_05

I don't know how others do their designs but I try to use a model driven paradigm. What that means is I build models and use them to drive the annotation and graphics such as contours, slope labels and spot elevations. When the model changes the graphics and annotation update dynamically.

Now when it comes to annotating mitered curbs and sidewalks, the surveyor and contractor typically want the elevations at the corners. In the model driven paradigm we want to place spot elevations at those points do we not? So what do we do if if the model does not extend to the corner? Granted there are workarounds but those typically are labor intensive processes and are not dynamic to changes in the models so we lose the efficiency of the model driven paradigm.

There is also the occasion where we want show a 3D model to the stakeholders. They will certainly be taken aback when they see fillets on all the curbs and sidewalks.

I strongly believe that site design software should be capable of modeling mitered corners without resorting to manual workarounds.

What is your take on this Joe?

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 11 of 15
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Neilw_05

Thank you for the wonderful presentation of how you use the software.Smiley Very Happy

There is always more than one way to skin a cat, as is exemplified in the myriad post of people complaining about how many different ways there are to use the software.

I tried to display a grading used for a sidewalk/ curb with a miter and it seems I need to make a more clear presentation.

I have to fall back on hand grading with a red pencil and a plan: many times I was faced with a grading situation that forced me to come from a different direction/ perspective.

Grading, as much as the mathematics want to tell us it is linear, design is not.

I'll get the clearer model to you when I get back to work. 

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

Use feature lines at the correct elevations for top and bottom, also place one from the corner of the bottom to the corner of the top.  How are you tying into the existing ground?

Message 13 of 15
Joe-Bouza

I tried that approach but got no response from the OP?

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

I don't think I quite understand. I don't add data to my surfaces much. 

I was recently asked why all my gradings have radii on corners. I could not give a good answer, other than that's just how civil3D does it, and it maintains the slope. Is this still not supported in C3D 2014?

The person asking said that it's easy in Terramodel. 

Message 15 of 15
Neilw_05

Mitered corners in gradings are not supported in 2014 nor 2015. I'll be very happy if it is in 2016 but I don't expect it will.
WIN 10 64 PRO

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report