Community
Arnold for Maya Forum
Rendering with Arnold in Maya using the MtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASS randomly rendering pink

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
poheaven85
292 Views, 3 Replies

ASS randomly rendering pink

Hi all, I have a scene with 130 + ASS files which loads fine and renders okay-ish. The problem is whenever i open the file, the first time i render it I have a few ASS files rendering pink. I've read that it has to do with MtoA shader location but when I repath the file, it goes away and renders fine.

As you can guess, this is a problem since I need to render a sequence on the farm on different render nodes and this random pink cannot happen. Is there a way I can force Arnold to reload the ASS files pre-render? I've tried to extract the scripts for that but I couldn't fine any code blocks that changes the path of AiStandIn node.

Thanks in advance!

Tags (3)
Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Stephen.Blair
in reply to: poheaven85

Pink (magenta) means a missing shader.
What does "repath the file" mean? If you're using absolute paths for aiStandIns, you should instead export relative paths for aiStandIn nodes, and using the Procedural Search Path.

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 3 of 4
poheaven85
in reply to: Stephen.Blair

I am using relative paths but I don't have to put in search paths because all my files are in the sourceimages folder which is the default where arnold initially looks for. So when I move the project to a new machine, it automatically picks up without an issue. When I said "re-path the file" I mean in the aiStandIn node, I delete the file path (/jobs/test/example.ass) and re-write the same file path again (/jobs/test/example.ass) and the pink goes away. It imports fine. That's why I was looking into force the reload on all the ASS files. Is there a code I can write up to enforce this before the render?

Message 4 of 4
poheaven85
in reply to: poheaven85

So I also tested the procedural search path and it in fact works! Hurray!

Maya arnold reads or loads the whole scene faster and it doesn't have any pink assets anymore. I guess I need to write different paths when I transfer this project to another machine but I'm okay with that. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report