Community
Arnold for 3ds Max Forum
Rendering with Arnold in 3ds Max using the MaxtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Residual Lights in Light Mixer

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
saul.es
219 Views, 3 Replies

Residual Lights in Light Mixer

Max 2023.3

Arnold 5.5.2.9

Is it normal that when I use map to material and apply it to an object and convert the object to procedural, when I import the .ass file the material becomes residual light when I render?

Note. If the global level is not deactivated in light lister the procedural will have an extra residual lighrt  even if there are no lights in the original scene.

Labels (4)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
CiroCardoso3v
in reply to: saul.es

What do you mean by residual light? Any screenshots to help understand what is going on?

Lead Enviroment Artist @Axis Studios

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
saul.es

saules_2-1677162956374.png

Arnold docs says that residual lights are those that do not come from a group of lights.

So, if I make a procedural file (.ass) and it contains lights, they become residual light and in the light mixer, it combines all the external lights and you can't control each one. I don't know if there are any way of control the light of each in the light mixer. (I don't say that it's wrong)

My workflow is only convert the geometry in procedural and merge the light of the original file.

But I think that there are a problem. If in the original file you only model the geometry, you don't put any light, convert it to procedural and import it in a new one, in this new file you will have residual light because of the light of the original environment.

saules_3-1677164059530.png

In this pic I disable the gloval level becouse it become to residual light in .ass file.

And if I import this car in .ass file in a new scene maybe it's ok, but if i use 20 cars it burns the render and pollutes the scene. Making impossible have control of real residual lights like emisive material or I don't know.

Finally i think that another problem is that if in the file before converting to .ass you use "map to material" this shader will become in residual light.

Oh, a lot of text. Thakns for reading xd

Message 4 of 4
CiroCardoso3v

I created a simple scene on my side and this is working fine. Here is what I did:

Make sure you create a AOV Light Group for the lights you want to export

CiroCardoso3v_0-1677483129341.png

Then export the ASS file

CiroCardoso3v_1-1677483152742.png

Lead Enviroment Artist @Axis Studios

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators