Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Select Double Surfaces

Select Double Surfaces

We really need this tool in VRED because they are not always apparent until you output frames and see flickering in the movie.

3 Comments
seiferp
Community Manager

Hi Dawn, 

how? And why are you generating duplicated surfaces in you modeling software? Are these surfaces used as reference geometry or accidently created. Are they in the same shell after import? 

dawn_mcardle
Collaborator
I don't know how or why the duplicate surfaces were created. I usually receive the models and have nothing to do with their creation. The model I was referring to was created with Alias. It's possible that engineering software was used at some point. There must have been close to 50 or so double surfaces when I started working with it. I don't think they were all part of shells. I think they are unintentionally created. can see most of them in VRED, but there were a couple I missed that affected my schedule and need to re-render. This has been an issue for a long time. I remember using a tool in Unigraphics to remove double surfaces back in the early 2000s and then saving the model for Maya. I realized after that job that Alias has a tool to find duplicate surfaces. It would be great if you could incorporate that into VRED.
j.kaestle
Enthusiast

We face the same Problem. Data coming from CAD- or PDM-Systems often contain double geometry (e.g. Variants of a part). It would be helpful to have a functionalty to identify double faces to reduce the amount ofdata in a VRED Scene.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report