Community
VRED Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s VRED Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular VRED topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vred Pro und Substance Lether not Black

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
steve.emter
723 Views, 13 Replies

Vred Pro und Substance Lether not Black

Hello everyone
I built a black leather in Substance Designer.
My problem is that it doesn't actually turn black. It doesn't matter whether you use a base color or a diffuse color.
where is my mistake
I'm not sure which side is the problem.
maybe someone had the same problem...

I imported the material into Vred without roughness and it's still not black.
picture 1 is from substance
picture 2 is from Vred
picture 3 is the result
Many thanks for your help

Labels (1)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

hi, did you find the solution?

for me it seems on the left side the leather is black, on the right side its grey. so if you´re sure that its really the same material, it has maybe to do with light that comes from the right side.

thomas

Message 3 of 14
steve.emter
in reply to: steve.emter

Hello Thomas,
Thanks for your answer.
No, the problem is not that trivial... the darker one is a Vred Shader and the right (lighter) one is made of Substance.
I thought maybe it's a general vred thing... as far as substance shaders go.

Greetings...

Message 4 of 14

Your roughness in substance is set to 1, which basically makes the glossy part of the material completely diffuse (substance roughness and vred roughness values are not comparable.....yet). Try to set it to somewhat that makes more sense like 0.1 or 0.2 or so.

Michael Nikelsky
Sr. Principal Engineer
Message 5 of 14
Kinga_Ilona
in reply to: steve.emter

I always have the same problem. Substance materials seem to never be as dark and saturated, so I end up creating them from scratch especially for black color. Would be great if new versions were able to actually properly utilize the Substance library. 

Message 6 of 14

Can you provide us with an example of a substance material that doesn´t work as expected? All the materials we have tested look quite similar to how they look in substance designer.

Michael Nikelsky
Sr. Principal Engineer
Message 7 of 14

Hi Michael,
I've prepared a scene...
Greetings
steve

Message 8 of 14

also here 🙂

Message 9 of 14

Tried to send a scene... but it doesn't work
Message 10 of 14

Direct vpb file are not allowed, put it in a zip.

Chris

Christian Garimberti
Technical Manager and Visualization Enthusiast
Qs Informatica S.r.l. | Qs Infor S.r.l. | My Website
Facebook | Instagram | Youtube | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 11 of 14

I thought I got it on the second try

Message 12 of 14

Ok, that looks pretty much like it should, the grayish part is from the glossy reflection. The only reason why this is different for the VRED material is because you lowered the glossy color, which is an artistic choice but not correct from a physical material property perspective. The substance material model doesn´t allow this, its glossy Color is therefore always white unless you have a metallic. I attached a rendering of how the file looks for me.

Michael Nikelsky
Sr. Principal Engineer
Message 13 of 14

Ok,
that means I have to add metallic to my leather to get the same result?

Message 14 of 14

Don´t know, I haven´t really used substance designer. I am not sure if you can even get that same result as the substance material model is limited and they designed it to be a physical based material and that simply means the glossy color is white since that is the case for most materials. You get a lower glossy reflection if you increase the roughness again so if that is what you are after it should be the way to go. 

Michael Nikelsky
Sr. Principal Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report