Community
VRED Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s VRED Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular VRED topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VRed 2017 30 day trial support Oculus Rift

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1003 Views, 8 Replies

VRed 2017 30 day trial support Oculus Rift

Guys does the 2017 VRed trial 30 day support Oculus and VR? Having trouble finding how to switch to Oculus VR view. Want to test drive before i purchase.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
michael_nikelsky
in reply to: Anonymous

You will need VRED Professional for Oculus Rift and HTC Vive support but it should run in the trial version. You will find the option to turn it on under View->Display->Oculus Rift.

Kind regards

Michael

Michael Nikelsky
Sr. Principal Engineer
Message 3 of 9
cmiddlin
in reply to: michael_nikelsky

Hi Michael , Im assuming that selecting the View .. Oculus Rift option will activate the headset but not the touch controllers , is that correct ?

Im assuming you need to run the view OpenVR HMD to activate the touch controls . My system works fine for just viewing using the Oculus selection but when I select OPENVR the touch contrls appear and work but it shudders .

Ive also noticed than when I launch steam VR it thinks my cameras are reversed , could this be the issue . They are obviously facing the right way 🙂overview.jpg

Message 4 of 9
michael_nikelsky
in reply to: cmiddlin

I have not used the oculus touch controllers through OpenVR yet, the 2017.2 update supports them natively. However, unlike OpenVR, the oculus library does not provide a model for visualization of the controller so you will need to write some code and create a model yourself for it. You can take a look at the OculusTouchExample.vpb that ships with the 2017.2 update.

In general I found the Oculus library to be quite a bit more stable in terms of performance compared to the OpenVR library/SteamVR. SteamVR is getting better but it still is a bit buggy in some places. I would try to experiment turning the performance features on/off in SteamVR to reduce the juddering. Keep in mind though that all features like asynchronous reprojection are only working on the HMD orientation and not on the controller, so unless you have a stable 90fps you will see juddering on them.

Kind regards

Michael

Michael Nikelsky
Sr. Principal Engineer
Message 5 of 9
cmiddlin

Hey Michael , so I have the 17 02 upgrade but I cant see anywhere the OculusTouchExample.vpb ... as the steam VR does have the 3D data for the touch controls Im sure I can work out how to rip a copy .

So just to clarify ... are you saying if I launch using the Oculus selection , not the OPENVR option ... and I use this file .. I should be able to add and see the hand controls ?

Message 6 of 9
michael_nikelsky

You will need the 2017.2 Update, not the 2017.0.2 Update.

At the moment you will still need to do some scripting in order to see the controllers with the oculus rift, very similar to what you need to do with OpenVR. 

Michael Nikelsky
Sr. Principal Engineer
Message 7 of 9
cmiddlin

So the next question is ... how do I get a copy of the 2017.2 update .. do we have it at Ford that you are aware of ?
Message 8 of 9
cmiddlin

So the next question is ... how do I get a copy of the 2017.2 update .. do we have it at Ford that you are aware of ?
Message 9 of 9
sinje_thiedemann

@cmiddlin wrote:

If you have a subscription, you can download it through the customer subscription center ( manage.autodesk.com ) as described here

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/download-install/install-software/update-software/cu...

Look for VRED Professional 2017.2 Update.

Best regards

Sinje

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report