Data Extraction, linking to external Excel spreadsheets

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Jeanette_A
1036 Views, 4 Replies

Data Extraction, linking to external Excel spreadsheets

Hi, 

I'm trying to link the data extraction in AutoCAD to an external Excel spreadsheet so I can add the "total" column. It's my first attempt in linking, but after reading page up and page down, I can't find an Excel template to show me exactly how the linking need to be done. 

Below is a screengrab of the various pop up boxes and error message. 

Ideally I would like the colour within "status" on the data extraction to merge, and desk type hidden - I know how to hide the column but I don't know how to merge the colours. I.e. I would like only 3 colours to show as they represent "occupied", "unallocated" and "reserved" from my spreadsheet. 

Thanks in advance. 

CaptureCAD.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
cadffm
in reply to: Jeanette_A

What you can do with this option is to add columns from an external excelsheet, to the new/updated data extraction excel file,

but you need to have a key-value in each row, you can not just say: Add theses columns..

Read this thread and followings, try the samples there to see how it works and what it is for.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-forum/data-extraction-quot-data-column-in-the-external-data-d...

HTH a bit

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
Jeanette_A
in reply to: cadffm

So, I added "Desk Type" + "Vitra" and "Verco"  in the Excel spreadsheet. I also tried adding suffix 1, 2, 3 and so on, after "Vitra" and "Verco", but no luck. 

Would you be able to tell me exactly what needs to be in the spreadsheet in order for the Data Extraction to recognize it? Thank you!! 

CaptureCAD.JPG

Message 4 of 5
cadffm
in reply to: Jeanette_A

Hi Jeanette,

the topic of my linked thread is: "Data Extraction, linking to external Excel spreadsheets"

So it is exactly your issue now. Stop your thoughts about your "real" target. Read the thread and try to follow again, test it.

Perhaps you should start with my posting incl. the attachment/picture 😉 -> ClickHere!

Ans as i wrote: Your Goal is not possible by this featurem i just like to show you how it works, for what it is designed.

Sebastian

190618_CaptureCAD-1.JPG

My picture from the linked thread

170907_0.JPG

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
Jeanette_A
in reply to: cadffm

Thanks for this Sebastian. And sorry for late reply to this topic. I'm working on quite a few projects simultaneously and this hasn't taken priority lately. However, I managed to get to the bottom of this and it now works 🙂  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report