Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Within the Thin Client don't allow a user to download the original files

Within the Thin Client don't allow a user to download the original files

From within the thin client I appreciate that it is possible to restrict the download of files to just visualisations if a visualisation file exists however if one does not exist a user can then download the original.

For some companies that is seen as a security infringement.  I.e. they are happy to allow users to download a read-only ‘none editable’ file but they should not be able to download the original under any circumstances.

Would it be possible to add an option that when enabled only allows a user to download a visualisation? If one exists of course.  Otherwise the user should only be able to see the thumbnail preview and no download function be available at all.

12 Comments
kevin.hay
Contributor

Hey Simon.

I completely agree. This was one of the first issues we raised with the consulting team once we got Vault up and running.

We are happy to allow DWF file download, however due to the Job Processor being so flakey and constant failing of DWF production, users inevitably end up getting the CAD files.

We did make a work around involving released and non released files, combined with special workflows that had restricted permissions on the CAD files but not the DWF files. It kind worked but was a bit nasty.

I'd much rather see a simple tick box that allows download of DWF, or nothing at all. Companies want to protect their IP, even internally in some cases. We don't all share the same approach that native files should be accessible to all...........

Cheers,

Kev.

olearya
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

This is something we have heard in the past and is considered for future.

I am interested whether you would rather have a blanket rule that no originals should be downloaded, or whether this should be controlled by user permission or file type (state or category control for example).

Simon
Contributor

Hi,

That is a good question.  My thought is that controlling download access from the state or category gives the most flexibility.  I can see that a configuration could allow a CAD designers group to download the originals but a consumers group to not be able.

However is the short term, presuming it is earlier to enable a blanket ban on downloads than a state configuration, I would like to be able to turn the download option off in the thin client options.

Simon

kevin.hay
Contributor

I agree, having the option on a workflow basis would be great. i.e. state based control.

Thanks,

Kev.

jeamy.baena
Advocate
Josh_Hunt
Advocate

I think @jeamy.baena was pointing out this has been addressed by this http://underthehood-autodesk.typepad.com/blog/2014/05/thin-client-just-the-newest-bits.html

I have Vault Pro 2016 Server and I only see the "Download Visualization" because "Restrict download of file with visualization attachment" is checked in admin settings.

philip.s
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

cadplm
Participant

Any update on this? This is a major security concern for us.

Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk

Some possible solution is been developed and ready for testing within the current Autodesk Vault Beta: https://beta.autodesk.com/ 

Please join the feedback community and let us know your feedback.

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

YounesYammouri
Community Manager

With Vault 2021 we implemented a distinction between read and download access of a file: http://help.autodesk.com/view/VAULT/2021/ENU/?guid=GUID-2DDF2E7A-3673-4D33-B82F-708BA6D55D5E 

Administrator can now based on state security specify which group are allowed to download a file vs. just read the meta-data of a file. This mean if you can specific category and lifecycle state for visualization files and with that allow download for a group the visualization files (DWF) but restrict for the same group to download the CAD file (state security).

I hope this help. 

Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This is possible in Vault 2021 as a part of the Security Enhancement.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report