Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Quick Search" in the Vault client main panel

"Quick Search" in the Vault client main panel

Hello everybody,

I work for Autodesk dealer company as a Vault technical consultant.
Our Vault customers critise searching algorithm with "quick search" in the Vault
client. I mean search in the "Vault client main panel", no command "Search"
with binoculus icon.

Autodesk developers rewrote search algorithm above a few years ago. The algorithm uses "tokens" now.
But it isn't possible to find exact string, which user enters.

For example. There are this documents abcd.ipt, abcd1.ipt in the Valt. And user wants to
find the document abcd.ipt. When user enter string   abcd.ipt   for searching, the Vault
returns both documents, i.e. abcd.ipt, abcd1.ipt. It's confusing.

The same situation will be, when user enter this selecting strings: "abcd.ipt", 'abcd.ipt', i.e. with
quotation marks, quote.

If user knowns the whole and exact document name (or string of another property)  and wants to find
the folder where that document in the Vault is, the Vault can't return the perfect answer.

The "token algorithm" Vault uses event if user enter find string with quotation marks unfortunately.
Most of IT aplications use quotation marks for searching for an exact string.

Couldn't be possible to restore searching with quotation marks in the new Vault 2017 version?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Have fun today.

5 Comments
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration
svossa
Explorer

Komplexe Suche in Vault 2015R2 nötig um auf dasselbe Ergebnis wie in PSP zu kommen

Problem der tokenbasierten Suche!!!!

Es gibt zwei Möglichkeiten um das (fast) korrekte Suchergebnis zu bekommen, wobei die zweite Möglichkeit zurzeit die einzige ist um das korrekte Suchergebnis darzustellen.

In PSP waren 2 Klicks und die Sucheingabe nötig

Erste Möglichkeit: (Ergebnis nicht eindeutig, da über alle Felder gesucht wird)

Suche über alle Artikel à Ergebnis 24183 Artikel gefunden (und das sind noch wenig) Suche über zusätzliches Feld à danach 24 Klicks, damit in 24183 Artikeln gesucht werden kann, da nur max. 1000 Artikel angezeigt werden können.

• 28 Kicks und eine Sucheingabe nötig

Zweite Möglichkeit:

Suche über alle Artikel --> Ergebnis 24183 Artikel gefunden Suche über Spaltenfilter --> „Beginnt mit“ in der ersten Auswahl nicht vorhanden Korrektur der Suche über „Filter editieren“ --> „Beginnt mit“ einstellen. --> danach 24 Klicks, damit in 24183 Artikeln gesucht werden kann.

34 Klicks, eine Sucheingabe und eine Filterkorrektur nötig!!!

petr.vanek
Enthusiast

Hi ihayesjr,

well, the "slop factor" is useful instrument, I agree with you.
Note: Set up "slop factor" to the low number isn't good decision, "tokens" work well and they are useful.

But there isn't any instrument if you have complete (full) document name or its properties
and you want to find it in the file store, i.e. only one specific document in the Vault. I mean "quick search"
in the main Vault client panel. Read my message above carefully, please.

This instrument was in Vault client probably in the past, I don't know. There is possibility
to use quotation marks or quote still, but without effect. Quotation marks or quote uses "tokens" too.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Enjoy your day.

EikeHengst
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

philip.s
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report