Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Numbering supports showing the Code : Description

Auto Numbering supports showing the Code : Description

Auto Numbering scheme supports showing the [Code : Description] in the dropdown but only uses the Code in the Numbering Scheme. This allows the use to see the Description which helps them pick the correct value.

Currently the Description inputted during the creation is not visible to the end-user

21 Comments
olearya
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

smilinger
Advisor

Agree, great idea, please implement this also for file numbering scheme and in CAD Vault add-ins, just as what you have done for the Item numbering scheme:

2015-01-06_19-27-49.png

jakub_d
Enthusiast

When You create numbering scheme and add pre-defined value list there is option to put description in another column.

numbering01.jpg

And when Inventor or AutoCAD propose file nam there is no visibility of this description. The value its only that We can see.

numbering02.jpg

It wolud be great to see description fields so We can know what value represents (We don't want to remember all value descriptions).

This description value can be displayed normally or in context menu when We hover over value.

Tags (1)
s.wile
Advocate

The Pre-Defined List field allows a description. However that description is only ever referneced when creating/editing that field within the numbering scheme setup. It would make a lot more sense if these descriptions also showed when chosing from this list while creating a new filename.

Filenames.png

filenames 2.png

Tags (4)
s.wile
Advocate

And once more I forgot to spellcheck before hitting post.

Simon
Contributor

I am in total agreement with you on this request!

I do a good number of Vault implementations each year and I am asked repeatedly if the users can be shown the description rather than its associated code. The description means a lot more to a user.

smilinger
Advisor
s.wile
Advocate

@smilinger I searched for this topic before posting this idea. I can't believe missed not one but two. Sorry for the duplicate post.

jeamy.baena
Advocate

Greetings,

It could be very useful if Vault allow to paste all these values from excel!!Smiley Very Happy

Spoiler

jeamy.baena
Advocate

Greetings,

It could be very useful if Vault allow to paste all these values from excel!!Smiley Very Happy

Lhann1
Advocate

See Case No:12068004

It would be great to have the option of displaying both the code and its associated description from a custom numbering schemes pre-defined pull down menu?

Currently I am only able to display the code in the pulldown menu and not its associated description when generating a new number from a scheme.

I see that it is possible if Items are used but we do not use items in our setup.

Tags (1)
YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

YounesYammouri
Community Manager

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

YounesYammouri
Community Manager

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

This request has been implemented with Autodesk Vault Workgroup and Professional 2018. Check Out the Autodesk Vault 2018 help:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/VAULT/2018/ENU/?guid=GUID-DD071BFB-45AC-4157-9660-2370EFA9B844

Younes Yammouri

YounesYammouri
Community Manager

This request has been implemented with Autodesk Vault Workgroup and Professional 2018. Check Out the Autodesk Vault 2018 help:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/VAULT/2018/ENU/?guid=GUID-DD071BFB-45AC-4157-9660-2370EFA9B844

Younes Yammouri

rb
Advocate
Advocate

Hello,

Has the support for description of my pre-defined list values been discontinued (?). I am using Vault Professional 2020 and I can't see the description of my pre-defined list values upon creation of new standard files or using the rename function:

bild11.PNG

bild22.PNG

rb
Advocate
Advocate

Has the support for description of my pre-defined list values been discontinued (?).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report