Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodeskvault instance name

Autodeskvault instance name

Allow Vault installation/configuration to connect to an Instance not named AUTODESKVAULT

We have several separate vault servers (Professional) all connected to remate databases on an SQL cluster. The SQL people claim that they can only have one single instance called AUTODESKVAULT in their complete environment AND that instance names MUST follow their naming conventions

Actually, vault is the only software that I know of that requires a specific instance name

Regards

Patrick

18 Comments
grzjoh48
Contributor

this would be a real improvement - also coexistance of several applications would be appreciated.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review
Patrick, thank you for posting the idea. We will review it for a future enhancement.
jeamy.baena
Advocate

We had this issue with my client. For the IT people is easier manage in some cases a default instance name, because the SQL server can administrate processors and memory more efficiently. This behavior must be an option in the Vault installation process.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

pvillella-CAP
Enthusiast

I see that this request was accepted 6/2015. Has any progress been made on implementing it? I don't see this change in Vault 2018.

As an additional note, for users that use Vault with SQL Express, this may not be such a big deal. For larger, more extensive Vaults, we use a separate server running full SQL Server.

We have a separate dev environment that is running a mirror image of our production Vault.

When evaluating a new release, such as Vault 2018, I don't want to wreck my existing dev environment that is still running Vault 2016 or Vault 2017. I want to be able to set up another Vault server with Vault 2018 and go through the process of migrating the Vault, etc. while still having the original Vault to fall back on.

Our SQL Server can easily handle 10s or even 100s of different instances.

But because the instance name is hardcoded to AUTODESKVAULT, I cannot have my Vault 2016 and Vault 2018 use that same SQL Server.

I'm now forced to either just use SQL Express for the new version, which isn't ideal and doesn't let me truly test with the same hardware or setup, or fork out a lot of money for another SQL Server license that I can put on a new server just because Vault won't let me specify a different name for my Vault instances.

I hope this change gets made soon.

brian_iannantuono
Participant

We are a large corporation with a dedicated DB department. There are naming conventions that must be kept for SOX  and Company standards. It is a must have to be able to name my external DB instance. SQL Express is not our standard and must be moved to the full SPL implementation. Our DB will soon be to big for express was well. This needs to change or we will be forced to go with a different PDM. This will need to happen soon before we expand Autodesk Vault to North America. Please resolve ASAP. Hardcoding variables is so 1990.

Thank you,

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

rparker1998_01
Community Visitor

The lack of this very basic feature has forced us to abandon all future plans for Autodesk Vault. The requirement to manage separate SQL servers for every Vault version and test instance, and the expensive SQL licensing that goes along with it, is irresponsible to demand from customers. We're switching platforms and will not be renewing in 2020. It's a pity that the Vault team was unable to resolve such a simple issue since it was first brought to light seven years ago.

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

jeamy.baena
Advocate

Hi,

Some possible solution is been developed and ready for testing within the current Autodesk Vault Beta: https://beta.autodesk.com/ 

Please join the feedback community and let us know your feedback.

Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This is implemented in Vault 2021. For more info on Vault 2021 What's new please refer this page - What's New in Vault 2021

Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This is implemented in Vault 2021. For more info on Vault 2021 What's new please refer this page - What's New in Vault 2021

pvillella-CAP
Enthusiast

I'm very happy to hear that this request has finally been implemented!

Thank you @Senthil_Kumar and @YounesYammouri and the rest of the Vault team.

John_Kavusak
Participant

in 2021 is the instance name customizable for Vault Basic, workgroup, and Pro?

YounesYammouri
Community Manager

@John_Kavusak The Vault instance name is customizable for Vault Professional only starting from the 2021 version.

John_Kavusak
Participant

Ok Thanks,  I didn't it anywhere in the documentation.  It might be a good idea for the whats new docs to note which products the changes apply to. 

Thanks again for the prompt response.

John

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report