Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Inventor Add-In Updates

Vault Inventor Add-In Updates

The Vault Inventor Add-In as of 2016 has had the same problems since 2012, it is causing quite the problem when working Inventor with Vault.  I confess I don't know how to fix these issues, but I'd like Autodesk to take a serious look at eliminating them:

1. Vault Add-In will crash Inventor when checking in an assembly that uses dynamic or table driven parts such as iPart, iAssembly, Cable and Harness, that have changed while desiging.  I can repeat this crash very predictably for 4 years now.  Open a master assembly that uses an iAssembly component, change the table driven assembly to another item in the table, and save.  Open and IDW that views the master assembly.  Check the IDW into Vault without checking the IAM into Vault first, expecting it to get the IAM and the IDW and check them both in.  Crash!
  2. Vault/Inventor attempts to change/check out files that are Library files if they are flexible or adaptive.  This shouldn't be.  Once the file is set into the Vault Library and or Content Center Folders, it should be read only / with all updates deferred.  The only excuses to update a library file indirectly should be to change its file version aka Migrate.
  3. Vault/Inventor attempts to change/check out flexible files that are contrained (so I understand) to any origin work plane.  This shouldn't be as well.  Besides attempting to check in 300 versions of a standard non modified file, it also exasperates problem 1.
  4. Vault's automatically checking out Library files also allows the user to drag parts from a library file in and out of the assembly library file without being blocked.  This corrupts library files unknowingly, because the user could be careless with drag and drop commands.

In general Vault Add-in has become very cumbersome to work with.  There are many times we can waste 5 minutes just to make a 5 second file text change, that has nothing to do with updating the model, while chasing down all the updates and accepting or rejecting them appropriately, then tricking the system into checking in a file and ignoring files that supposedly are dirty, when they are not.  This needs to be optimized thoroughly.

Thank you,

3 Comments
gilsdorf_e
Collaborator

Especially with iAssemblies I also see a lot of problems with the Vault-Addin.

Assemblies using iAssemblies tend to get a dirty flag upon check-in. you can save as much as you want, everything is OK. Click 'Check-In' and they willget a dirty flag.

Most times it helps to save the parent assembly, NOT check-in, close assembly, reopen assembly and then check-in.

ihayesjr
Community Manager

Jamie,

Thanks for posting your idea.  Can you please create a support case for #1 in your list?

JamieVJohnson2
Collaborator

gilsdorf, we have been doing exactly that many times.  Be nice not to have too. 

ihaysjr, I just recreated another case.  Since my company and contracts have been bought out, I was not able to find the existing 3 cases, and many crash reports, and uploaded files, but they are all under my old email and should be found by that.

Thanks,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report