Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More precise message when can't change state

More precise message when can't change state

I set a condition "MyProperty" can't be empty when go from WIP to FR.

But Vault just said (I simplify): I'can't.

I want from Vault:

I'can't because:

- MyProperty can't be empty.

Thanks in advance.

8 Comments
john.stewart
Autodesk

Current Generic Error message on Lifecycle Transition

Please support a detailed error message which explains which specific criteria is not compliant, so the end user can make the changes without having to troubleshoot the missing criteria.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

tmoney2007
Collaborator

Currently if there are criteria requirements for a lifecycle transition and they are not met, the user gets a somewhat cryptic message that doesn't tell them what they need to change.

Given that the criteria are based on properties, they should be much more specific, i.e.

Lifecycle Definition: Standard Release

Transition: WIP->Review

Transition not allowed due to criteria:

Linked to Item is "Yes"

Description is not null

This way the user would immediately know what needed to be done to change the lifecycle state.  Other systems even offer an "Audit" function that will evaluate the object without attempting to make the transition.

olearya
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

This would definitely help users follow the intended lifecycle without having to ask the administrator every time a transition is blocked.

ThatWorksForMe
Advocate

This is really needed urgently. I do not understand why since 2012 nothing has changed on the state.

wschmid
Advocate

We like to use the criteria to avoid cunstom programing, but without useful error messages this function is useless! Please implement this fast!

In the meantime: Is there a way to customize the current error message? Current message is: "One or more files cannot change to the specified state due to errors or restrictions".

If we could customize the message to give some hints it would help!

ThatWorksForMe
Advocate

@wschmid it is not possible to customize error messages on state changes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report