Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item Master Folder Structure

Item Master Folder Structure

Is it just me or is Item Master just a catch all bucket?  

It would be great if the same folder structure or at least the ability to create a folder structure in Item Master was present.  Yes I know I can set filters but the issue is I have several business segments using Vault and the folder structure in Project Explorer works great to segment the files.  I cannot do this with Item Master and must ensure that the right filter is in place to get the correct information. 

Since permissions can be set on folders in Project Explorer I would expect the same can be done for Item Master.

13 Comments
dominik.gleinser
Advocate

Hallo tschaerferZNBXX,

I think the posibility to build a folder structre with subfolders in connection with saved searches would also help in this case. But you are right, a lot of customers are managing there documents on a the basis of materials. So virtual folders would be nice. But Autodesk partners shoult hold in mind that we are producing the same chaos as in PSP-the problem is that the workflow of Vault ist based on a file-strucuture (PDM). 

Our customers are using groupings with "group by box" to seperate there materials but a possibility with VIRTUAL folders is often a wish of customers. 

Good input but some factors should be  hold in mind. 🙂

Thanks

Best Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Functionality to add folders to ECO, and Item, this attach all the files within the folder to and ECO, or as a single Item in the Item Master. This should also assign the Folder Category to Item an update the folder properties to the Items.

Tags (4)
ihayesjr
Community Manager

As Items are used for Bill of Materials, can you give details on why you would attach a folder to an Item?  Can you explain the entire workflow and purpose of this idea?

Thanks

support
Enthusiast

Hi Ihayesjr,

We are in process of workflow for Ship Building Company. (They are migrating from PLM to Autodesk Vault PDMSmiley Surprised )

In thier existing process they approve a document (Folder in Autodesk Vault) which would have files linked to it, hence the files do not have thier own lifecycles, the documents will have lifecycle. Hence any BOM that is to be generated is based on the Document (Folder) rather than the files inside the Document (folder), also the ECR are raised based on the Documents and not independent files.

Each Engineer is reponsible for the document assigned to him.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

How would you set up the folder structure in the Item Master if this were possible?

tschaeferZNBXX
Advisor

Ideally I would like to have the same type of flexibility as I currently do in Project Explorer.

The issue is one for speed but two I am able to group things and limit access to them based on folder permissions.  This would allow me to have several different business units in one Vault but limit the access to the Items and BOM information.

Yes we could set up custom roles and permissions but that is very cumbersome to manage in my opinion.

ihayesjr
Community Manager

Today, during Item Assignment of a single file, the Item dialog appears, what determines what folder that Item will go into?

tschaeferZNBXX
Advisor

Unless it is otherwise specified 90% of the time it would go to the same type of folder structure in Project Explorer.

Would it be possible to attach the Item Master record to the File similar to how the PDF is attached in Vault Pro 2019?

I would like to limit areas of Vault my users have to go to, I know we can simply right click and open the Item.  The problem I am facing is taking a company that has no data-management background and getting them to understand the reasons.  Anything like this can make it easier for users to understand in my opinion.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hallo  tschaeferZNBXX, Hallo Irvin,

with the functions in Vault we have now, you would be able to limit the access or set permissions based on Item-categories/Lifecycles.

I think some structured search folder would be nice and a lot of customers want to see there items in "folders" or "views", because they worked like this in Productsream (PSP). Most import is this for customers which are searching there files based on the article/material, but with Vault searches, filters and groupings they can go around with this.

Maybe it should be possible to display articles in structured views based on categories and rules.

Best regards 
Dominik

ihayesjr
Community Manager

@tschaeferZNBXX , Are you saying to automatically duplicate the file folder structure in the Item Master automatically? Or would you think that having Items just show up in the file folder, same location as the primary attachment?

tschaeferZNBXX
Advisor

If they showed as a primary attachment this may simplify Vault (in my opinion) and not have the separation between Project Explorer and Item Master.

Users then can have one location to get the information more quickly without having to RBC and open the Item.  All of the UDP's and permissions would still be set as they are now but no require users to go to a different area of Vault when trying to see or access Item BOM information.

ihayesjr
Community Manager

Interesting. Thanks for the conversation.

Dan_Margulius
Advisor

HI 

Recently we encountered this issue. 

I have 40000 equipment items and another 30000 items which are Instruments. 

But each instrument or Equipment exists in a different Plant(915,650,690..etc) 

We want folders in Items so we can position them more easily in folders with the plant names 

Now we have a big flat list and it is very hard to find them and understand what youa have in each Plant

Thanks

Dan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report