Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find Orphaned Files

Find Orphaned Files

Please provide a native tool to find all files that have no "where used" parent listed.

(I know that tool exists 🙂 http://justonesandzeros.typepad.com/blog/2014/08/find-orphaned-files-2015.html)

Thanks in advance,

BR

25 Comments
Neil_Cross
Mentor

For arguably unnecessary clarity, might consider changing "find all files" to "find all CAD models (IPT, IAM)".

As all drawings, and mostly all office files and misc files i.e. images, STEP files etc are by default always orphans themselves.

I could have sworn I already made an IdeaStation post for this, unless I'm getting confused with only talking about it in that post you just linked this in.  Has my vote any way.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Neil for your vote 🙂

I should clarify that I want to perform this search on a folder, for example Content Center, Library, .. The goal is to easily know what files I can delete, for exemple obsolete files that have no more parents, and that are in a "To delete" folder.

n.saremba
Enthusiast

We gave this tool to the programmer of our system house.

First change was:

Skip all idw and dwg and you can add stp, pdf tif and what you have in your Vault folders.

Include SubFolders

Second change was:

Create an export button to write the values into *.csv

FindOrphanedFiles.JPG

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

cbenner
Mentor

I was about to post this very idea.  To elaborate though:  Wouldn't it also be nice, in the native cad program, to get a prompt when you are about to delete something from your design, that is checked out in Vault.... warning you that you are about to create an orphaned component and asking if you would like to delete the Vaulted copy.

I'll expand.  I use (as you all know by now) Frame Generator and Tube & Pipe.  Pipe spools, and frame members are created by the system to populate your route and frame sketches.  When the design changes (and it always does) you inevitably delete some of these system generated parts.  If these have already been checked in to the Vault once, you are thus creating orphans.  At this point, when I delete a frame member or pipe spool, it would be nice to be asked if the Vaulted copy should also be deleted (yes or no).  That way when I am done and I check everything in and delete local copies, all that will be left locally will be orphans.  Locally these are easy to clean out.  As with most of my wishes, I say leave it up to the user.  If we're unsure, we can say no and do more investigating later.

BTW, I'm voting this up.

Anonymous
Not applicable

during under review status;

can someone update the tool source code for 2018 ?  (http://justonesandzeros.typepad.com/blog/2014/08/find-orphaned-files-2015.html)

i tried to update referances with 2018 VLT SDK but didnt work

trogmanna
Contributor

Hello,

the frendly Mr. Markus Koechl has adapted the find orphaned Files function to 2018 and has uploaded the code to Github..

https://github.com/koechlm/FindOrphaned-2018

I have first installed the original program from 2015 and have than copied the files contained in the FindOrphaned.zip downloaded from Git to the folder C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Vault 2018\Extensions\FindOrphaned

It works like a charm for me!

Thanks to Mr. Köchel!

jdineen
Contributor

Hi All,

Is there a find orphaned files app for Vault Professional 2017.

akhidrosyidi
Advocate

Hi @trogmanna, i tried to install by copying FindOrphaned folder to C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Vault 2018\Extensions

but it's not works. with report like below ( attached )

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'FindOrphaned' or one of its dependencies...

2018-04-10_10-18-33.jpg

i get the files form github.

did anyone can help me how to install this extension ?

for information, i use Vault Pro 2018.

trogmanna
Contributor

Hello,

I have first installed the 2015 version,

http://justonesandzeros.typepad.com/blog/2014/08/find-orphaned-files-2015.html

than I have replaced the files with the version from github

https://github.com/koechlm/FindOrphaned-2018   (thanks to Mr. Markus Koechl for sharing this with us)

for me that has worked fine.

If someone is able to create a msi from the second version I think it would be fine..

akhidrosyidi
Advocate

hi @trogmanna,

can you explain more in detail how to copy and replaced the files.?

i was install 2015 version,

install orphaned files.gif

with what folder i have to copied and replace?

orphaned.gif

Thanks in advanced.

trogmanna
Contributor

Hello akhidrosyidi

in the repsitori on Github you will find a file with the Name FindOrphaned.zip.

This file contains a Folder with files to copy in your local FindOrphaned directory.

Probabily it is  C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Vault 2018\Extensions\FindOrphaned

2018-05-02_08h37_28.png

akhidrosyidi
Advocate

Hi @trogmanna,

i was tried with your method, but still error.

i can't open vault, with error comment below:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'FindOrphaned' or one of its dependencies...

error screenshoot

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I found this tool and managed to get it installed and working.

It is a great tool, but I see in one of the early screenshots that there is an Export button that isn't in mine. 

Does anyone have this version of it for Vault 2018? It would make life so much easier if I could get a list out. As it is now I have to close the search if I want to do anything with the file or files it finds..

Also for Autodesk, some form of this or other way to search for these files directly in Vault would be fantastic.

Thanks.

Tranquill
Enthusiast

Hi guys, a version for 2017 or 2019 would be awesome!
Does anyone have got it to work in one of these versions perhaps?

Kind regards,

Aram.

ahiggins95G6B
Observer

Hello,

I get the exact same issue as akhidrosyidi.  Does anyone have any more information on how to get this to work?  I installed the 2015 version and then copied the files from the .zip file to the folder under Vault 2018.  

Thanks,

-Adam

jms5cj
Explorer

Doesn't work for me either. I copy the files to 2018 folder after running the 2015 install. No good. Any help would be appreciated.
It would be most helpful if there was an actual 2018 install that would do it to prevent the error.

limin.chung
Autodesk

Hi, 

Some possible solutions for this idea are currently under discussion on the NDA based Vault Feedback/Beta forums. If you would like to contribute/validate then please apply for access using this link:

Thanks,

Limin

Greatwhitenorth
Collaborator

Hi,

I would also like to see a Vault 2019 version.

Thanks.

Bob

Greatwhitenorth
Collaborator

Hi @Redmond.D,

Any chance of you creating a 2019 version of this application?

Please & thank-you.

Bob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report