Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't asking to check-out a file if I'm not allowed to do that

Don't asking to check-out a file if I'm not allowed to do that

Vault must check if the file is locked or not before asking to check out.

If the file is locked => don't ask, just open-it read only.

If the file is not locked => ask if you want to check out.

Thanks in advance.

13 Comments
karthur1
Mentor

Not sure if this is a Vault thing or the application that is used to open the file.  I know if a .dwg is opened from Vault Explorer that is not checked out, once Autocad gets control, it will prompt "xyz.dwg is currently in use or is read-only. Would you like to open the file read-only?". Only way to avoid this is to check-out the file in VE before its opened.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

tmoney2007
Collaborator

The checkout prompt is a vault thing.  The Read Only prompt is a very annoying AutoCAD thing.

If I can't check it out, don't ask me to check it out.  (This is for another ideastation) If the file is read only, don't let me modify it... also, don't consider zoom or pan a modification.

If you are admin, you are allowed to check out Released files. In this case Vault also should recognize who is admin and who is not admin....

tahdesign1
Collaborator

If it is true that an Admin can check out released files then that should be changed!

Released is Released and should protect that file until it's Lifecycle State is changed by an Admin within Vault Explorer.

An Admin inadvertently opening a released file, checking it out by accident, and changing it's Lifecycle State is not a good work flow.

Depending on your Lifecycle definitions this could also cause an unwanted rev bump on the file which at this point there is not recovery from!

Josh_Hunt
Advocate

I haven't confirmed it but I agree that an admin shouldn't be able to checkout a Released file. However you should have a separate login for a person who designs and is an admin. You can shift+right-click on Vault or AutoCAD to "Run as different user".

--------------------------------

The AutoCAD Read-only prompt does not display if you use "Open From Vault" inside AutoCAD. I place folders/files in my Vault "shortcuts" and then "Open From Vault" to access them quickly.

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk

Hi All,

We are in the process evaluating this Ideastation Request. However we would like to know some information on the workflows that are involved here.

So far we see the Check Out Prompt in AutoCAD when the File is locked (Either Via Lifecycle or Security or Not having Ownership in Replication) and if the locked File is getting Edited or attached.

Do you have any other workflow which you can share with us?

An example workflow is shown here - http://autode.sk/2dzpH7g

In this example I am opening a locked file (File is Released) and trying to Edit by adding a circle and Vault throws the Check out Prompt. So this ideastation request is to avoid that prompt. 

Is our understanding correct?

If that is correct then the fix that we are planning is to suppress this prompt.

Thanks,

Senthil.

Josh_Hunt
Advocate

@Senthil_Kumar There are many workflows that need to be accounted for.

LOCKED REASONS

File is checked out to another user

File is locked by lifecycle state (Released, Obsolete, In Review)

User does not have EDIT access to the folder.

Not having Ownership in Replication

WHERE THIS HAPPENS

Open from Vault inside Application (AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit, etc)

Open from Vault client Application

WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN

Do not prompt to check-out a file (because you can't).

DO state the reason or reasons the file is locked.

ADMIN FUNCTION

Allow admin to globally suppress read-only prompt

Allow admin to globally suppress reason the file is locked.

Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk

@Josh_Hunt Thanks for your reply and information. We tried the workflows you have mentioned in Inventor, Revit and AutoCAD. But we could see the prompt only in AutoCAD and not in Inventor or Revit. So is there anyway you can create a video showing the workflow in Inventor and Revit? That will be of great help.

Thanks again.

Josh_Hunt
Advocate

@Senthil_Kumar Your testing is correct. I have only been using Vault with AutoCAD for several years so I forgot that this issue doesn't happen with Inventor or Revit. This affects AutoCAD 2014 and Vault 2014. I don't have 2016 setup to test it.

YounesYammouri
Community Manager

The product development team is considering the feedback of the community and have implemented some of this feedback in the development pipeline. You are encouraged to join the Autodesk Vault beta program to get a view into what’s being implemented. We appreciate your feedback.

Thanks 

Younes Yammouri

Autodesk Vault Product Manager

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

This request has been implemented with Autodesk Vault Workgroup and Professional 2018.

Younes Yammouri

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report