Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy Design, Replace first "x" amount of text

Copy Design, Replace first "x" amount of text

Hi all

I have seem many request for better file renaming within "Copy Design", this request is to add the renaming functionality.

It would be good to be able to replace a selected string length, within a name, with a new set of text.

My example is as follows:  The first 5 characters of my file name are a code linked to the specific internal project number for the design.  If I want to copy designs from various internal projects for reuse in a new project I need to replace the first 5 characters with a new text.

eg.

Project 1 code = 12345

Parts:

12345-abcd

12345-efghi

12345-jklmn

Project 2 code = xx12x

Parts:

xx12x-12345

xx12x-67891

If I run a rename of just the first 5 characters I can rename all the parts at once to have a new project number, instead of having to do a replace all for each project code copied from.

What would be nice is to be able to specify a seperator (in this case "-") and replace all text before it.

Use of wildcards would also help.

4 Comments
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

olearya
Alumni
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi Carl,

Please test this again in 2015 R2 version of Copy Design - we have changed file numbering to include auto numbering schemes and the "none" file numbering scheme allows you to find and replace text strings.

We do not have a "replace first 5 characters" type rule but a wildcard "Find *-" will work.

olearya
Alumni
Status changed to: Implemented

RonnieWilkins
Advocate

Why not implement Regular Expressions for search/replace?

RegExExample.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report